Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Mac Mini

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2009, 07:59 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mac Mini

Two questions if i may

Firstly, it will not connect to the internet anymore, it used to, then i diddn't use it for a couple of weeks and now it will not let me access the internet. The airport signal icon in the top right corner however, does diplay a signal and says its connected to my modem (bt voyager piece of cack)

Does anybody know what to do?

Second question, is there a way of conecting it to two screens to have a stretched desktop? I know there isn't a second video out but can i use a usb to vga or something?
Old 21 October 2009, 10:47 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

What OS version is the machine currently running?

For the airport problem I'd suggest going into System Preferences -> Network -> Airport
First thing I'd do is click "Turn Airport Off" then click "Turn Airport On", and then, if needed, connect to your network again and see if that helps at all.

If it's still a problem then turn airport off again, click the Advanced option, and from the window that appears, it'll show any networks, select your wireless network, then click the "-" button to delete it, then click OK, then click "Turn Airport On" and then select your network from the popup menu, enter it's password, see if that makes a difference.

You may also want to click Advanced, then click on TCP/IP and check what the settings are, and if they are correct, also try clicking "Renew DHCP Lease" and see if that helps at all.

As for the monitor, have a read of this.
Old 21 October 2009, 11:11 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Both problems solved. Now to spend more money

Does anybody know of a cheaper way than the matrox external graphics card that costs £140 odd?

Last edited by subaruturbo_18; 22 October 2009 at 12:06 PM. Reason: meant graphics not sound ol
Old 21 October 2009, 11:22 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Would be nice if you explained what exactly you wanted to do

You say Maxtrox external sound card, I thought Maxtrox only did graphics cards, one of which I believe would solve the dual monitors with a mac mini problem (have a read of this
Old 22 October 2009, 12:06 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

yep, meant graphics. dunno what i was on about sound? i want to extend the desktop onto another screen to enhance my dj/studio set up
Old 22 October 2009, 03:00 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Cheeky bugger, editing your post

I did wonder if you were thinking about digital audio out from the mini. I think some of them do have digi audio out from the 3.5mm headphone socket. If not then there are usb digi out dongle things. Anyway, I digress.

have a look on ebay for the matrox thing, see if anything comes up. Also, from that link I posted, it's a screen stretcher rather than a true dual monitor type setup as you'd get in a real two monitor setup. I think this is due to the single VGA signal being split.
This might be ok for what you want to do though.

One does wonder if perhaps a bigger primary screen might be a better bet.