Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

broadband question

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2009, 04:24 PM
leonski
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broadband question

im currently with orange broadband and experience a lot of connection drop outs especially when playing on x box live. Happens probably at least once an hour. Im thinking of changing to sky broadband in the hope that they are more reliable but just wanted to see what everyone thinks first. cheers
Old 14 October 2009, 04:31 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

It's still the same bit of wire between your house and the telephone exchange regardless of who you use. If your exchange is "local loop unbundled" then you may get connected to a different bit of kit at the the other end when you change providers. If not you'll probably stay connected to the same hardware on the other end as provided by BT Wholesale. Therefore all the problems will remain.

Try to get your provider to do a line test.

Is it definitely the ADSL side that is dropping out? Does you router tell you this / log it. If the XBOX is connected to your router over wireless then often next door using their microwave is enough to cause it to drop out for a while. Use cabled Ethernet if you can.
Old 14 October 2009, 04:38 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I have to admit if I download or transfer a constant high volume of data, mine drops out too. Orange also.

Not really an issue as i rarely have a high transfer rate.
Old 14 October 2009, 04:41 PM
leonski
Scooby Regular

yes i have the x box wired with an ethernet cable. Its not necessarily just x box live as when im just sat watching tv with no internet being used at all i see the green lights cut off on the router, followed by a minute of an orange error light until it regains a connection. Its a netgear router which i have sat under the tv so i allways notice it wether im on line or not. Should add that ive not always had this problem, especially when orange was wanadoo it very rarely happened but has got consistently worse over the past 6 -12 months
Old 14 October 2009, 04:53 PM
leonski
Scooby Regular

tried another router earlier but for some reason i couldnt get x box live to connect through it. it is also a netgear but supplied by virgin to someone else. How would i know if the filters are working? It doesnt disconnect if the phone rings if thats what you mean
Old 15 October 2009, 09:13 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

check your router logs

it may be your router is rebooting for some reason
Old 15 October 2009, 03:15 PM
HPLovecraft
Scooby Regular

As suggested above try plugging into the master test socket behind the master socket lower front plate and see if that helps.

If you have a skybox double filter it.

Try a silent line test using a corded analogue phone.

Post up your router stats. What are your SN margins like ?
Old 15 October 2009, 06:21 PM
leonski
Scooby Regular

so does no one else have these problems with orange then? im not sure what sn margins are
Old 16 October 2009, 10:42 AM
HPLovecraft
Scooby Regular

And also from the same webpage as above:

::. Kitz - Low SNR Margin & problems .::

I was asking about your stats because I recently had a problem with low (and highly fluctuating) SNR margins causing frequent loss of sync just like yourself. Sometimes the margin would bounce around like crazy and it sometimes even went negative. BT fiddled with stuff at the exchange (after 2 weeks of my ISP having me jump through hoops trying all the obvious stuff) and this stabilised the line.

But this is just one possible cause.

Good luck with getting it sorted.
Old 16 October 2009, 08:49 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

If you do change ISP's i wouldn't go with SKY if you use Xbox Live because Sky use interleaving has default and will not turn it off even if asked.
Old 23 October 2009, 08:04 PM
leonski
Scooby Regular

rang orange and they said they found problems with the line which would be sorted in 24 hours. done this twice this week and its slightly more secure but still drops out a lot. managed 2 games on fifa out of 5 so its still not good. What does that mean about sky being no good?
Old 25 October 2009, 12:41 PM
Jinxed
BANNED

Originally Posted by leonski
im currently with orange broadband and experience a lot of connection drop outs especially when playing on x box live. Happens probably at least once an hour. Im thinking of changing to sky broadband in the hope that they are more reliable but just wanted to see what everyone thinks first. cheers

I found sky customer services to be very poor , bethere are a good option and you can adjust your settings for stability and performance