Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Vhs to dvd conversion ??

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2009, 01:55 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vhs to dvd conversion ??

Anyone here sucusfully managed to convert there vhs video to dvd using one off these cheap " Easycap " gadgets often seen on ebay etc ?? ask this as I have one or two old vhs tapes that it would like to have on disc and if I knew that these things actually work would just go ahead and order one . from a quick search off google on this very subject have read off a few users having problems getting acceptable sound in the conversion process ??

anyone here able to advise ??
Old 28 September 2009, 03:16 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I've tried a couple of the cheap (and no so cheap) ones, and ended up throwing them away. Not worth the money imo. They work reasonably well on perfect tapes, but when you start getting dropouts etc (as often happens with older tapes) they struggle, often pixelating the images, and distorting sound etc. The captured picture can also be a bit fuzzy sometimes.

I've ended up buying a Matrox MX02 mini to do the job. A lot more expensive, but it works very well, and the resulting picture quality is so much better than I got with the cheap options (even when they were working). You get what you pay for...
Old 28 September 2009, 05:48 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay thanks mate appreciatte your advice, to be honest kinda suspected that the results with the cheap ebay device would not be accepatble and that would probably just be better off getting any videos requiring dvd conversion done by the professionals.

cheers and thanks again for your advice.
Old 28 September 2009, 06:06 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Much easier to get a cheap standalone DVD recorder and connect scart to scart with your VHS player. Record then trim and edit the result on your PC. I've done lots like this.
Old 28 September 2009, 07:13 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

I want to backup vhs tapes that are copy protected because they are going to wer out if they play them much more. Is that illegal? if not, how could it be done? in theory like
Old 28 September 2009, 08:34 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
Much easier to get a cheap standalone DVD recorder and connect scart to scart with your VHS player. Record then trim and edit the result on your PC. I've done lots like this.
Now theres a idea I had never thought about ?? so you reckon its as simple as just connecting up my dvd recorder and video player , pressing play on the dvd and all being well a perfect copy should be produced onto disc within the recorder ??

anything I need to look out for and will I be able to back up shop purchased vhs films as opposed to just blank videos that I have put recordings onto ie weddings etc ??

certainly be interested to here a bit more as its certainly got to be worth a try, having sky+ I knew there would eventually be a use for that old dvd recorder !!
Old 28 September 2009, 09:02 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by jono300
Now theres a idea I had never thought about ?? so you reckon its as simple as just connecting up my dvd recorder and video player , pressing play on the dvd and all being well a perfect copy should be produced onto disc within the recorder ??

anything I need to look out for and will I be able to back up shop purchased vhs films as opposed to just blank videos that I have put recordings onto ie weddings etc ??

certainly be interested to here a bit more as its certainly got to be worth a try, having sky+ I knew there would eventually be a use for that old dvd recorder !!
Yep, that's exactly how I've done mine. I backed up numerous old rave VHS tapes to DVD with good results - or just as good as the VHS quality is anyway.

VHS Recorder -> Scart -> DVD Recorder -> Scart -> TV

Record on the DVD recorder at a high a bitrate as possible for the length of your recording using the RGB setting if possible. It's the same as connecting old the Sky Digital box to yor TV, through the VHS recorder. I used cheap DVD-R's, copied the resulting files to the PC and edited them using DVD Shrink to trim them. You can then re-burn them to DVD if you like

Anything that's likely to have protection is probably available on DVD anyway. My stuff would never have been.

This way cuts out the problems that a less than perfect PC may introduce, such as frame drops and stutters.
Old 28 September 2009, 09:42 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Perfect thanks again for the info, will certainly give it a try sometime when I get a chance.
Old 28 September 2009, 11:08 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Don't know why I didn;t think of recommending that If you have a dvd recorder, give it a go. It does work quite well...
Old 29 September 2009, 07:24 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Don't know why I didn;t think of recommending that If you have a dvd recorder, give it a go. It does work quite well...
No probs mate your original info was good enough for me ie. wont be buying one off these cheap " Easycrap " cadgets !!

thanks again guys.
Old 29 September 2009, 08:55 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Just wonder if this same dvd recorder could be put to use for recording akyplus programmes onto disc, anyone ??
Old 05 October 2009, 02:18 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Anyone here sucusfully managed to convert there vhs video to dvd using one off these cheap " Easycap " gadgets often seen on ebay etc ?? ask this as I have one or two old vhs tapes that it would like to have on disc and if I knew that these things actually work would just go ahead and order one . from a quick search off google on this very subject have read off a few users having problems getting acceptable sound in the conversion process ??

anyone here able to advise ??
Ive only had real success using an Hauppauge PVR300. Its got a hardware MPEG encoder, whichs what you need to reliably create MPEG2 files in real time. Ive also got a PVR150, which I believe has a similar chip, but costs a good deal less.

Simon
Old 05 October 2009, 10:12 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Just wonder if this same dvd recorder could be put to use for recording akyplus programmes onto disc, anyone ??
Yes, of course The only channels you will get issues with are Sky Movies and other PPV channels.

I've recorded festival footage from my Sky+ and edited it all afterwards on the PC - cutting out the adverts, waffle and bands that I didn't want on there.
Old 05 October 2009, 05:42 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay great thanks again appreciatte your help on this one.