Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

What are my options - broadbands been cut off!

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2009, 04:40 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry What are my options - broadbands been cut off!

I'll try to keep this short as possible.
I was with sky braodband but the evening and weekend speeds were shocking so on Friday 11th I phoned up and requested a MAC code cause I wanted to switch providers.
Yesterday I woke up to start some work and discovered my internet wasn't working. Tried a couple of times to get through to technical support (hung on for an hour each time). Anyway 3rd time lucky I got through only to be told they'd cancelled my broadband without issuing the MAC code
The 4th person I spoke to after being swapped to diff departments said he'd try and issue another MAC code but it might not work as I've not actually got broadband on my line. He said I should get an SMS but to phone back on Monday if I haven't recieved it.

Where do I actually stand. I don't doubt for a second that I won't recieve any code from them and would it actually work now I've not got broadband?
Should I just go to another provider (and having to pay another activation fee) and not waste anymore time with Sky?
Matt
Old 19 September 2009, 04:58 PM
muthaducka
Scooby Regular

just moved from Sky. If you or your partner have an o2 phone, you can get broadband with o2 for £7 a month. It's also nice to know that their broadband is from BE. My service went from 7mb to 14mb and the upload speeds from 250k to over 1mb. No join up fee and first three months are free.

Didn't use the MAC code to switch, if the line doesn't show that you have broadband, just switch to a new provider and it should be setup pretty quickly. About 4 days for me including delivery of new router.
Old 19 September 2009, 06:14 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

When I was involved in all this stuff, the problem was that it took BT up to 45 days to change the status of your line. So Sky will terminate, that goes to BT, they think about life and all its complexities and finally update their computer system. I hope it has got better / quicker.

It may be worth just going to another ISP, putting in your phone number and placing an order (I would recommened BE*).

Steve
Old 19 September 2009, 08:08 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys. I'm posting this usig my iPhone so I'll have a look at o2. My exchange hasn't been upgraded yet so I can't get the adsl2 stuff.
Steve, that's exactly what I was worried about with BT.
Matt
Old 19 September 2009, 11:24 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Youve been hit by the "Sour grapes syndrome", i had the same when i

requested a MAC code from Tiscali.

The good news is its sortable, the bad news is, its going to take 28 days

From the top, it works like this.

You wont get a MAC code, as the account has been canceled, so there

is now way they can generate a mac code as you don't have an account.

(how clever is that lol)

Reinstating the account will take 4 weeks, as the cancel request has

been placed / actioned.. and it takes 2 weeks for the hold flag to be

relinquished from your line, then a further 2 weeks to reinstate broadband

from your new ISP

All i can suggest is you ring BT wholesale, as they control the markers and

the broadband side of things, (regardless of ISP) They will be able to tell

you when the flag is clear, and note that you will be moving ISP..

Mart
Old 19 September 2009, 11:41 PM
cookie sti
Scooby Regular

Do you get on well with your neighbours? ask if its possible for a short time to use there wireless connection all you need is there identity code and search for there wireless router i did that when i first moved into my new home
Old 20 September 2009, 10:04 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Exactly what I feared Mart
I've been out and bought a mobile broadband dongle so I can still use my email (I work from home so regularly send attachments with emails) so I'll have to make do with that until I get the broadband sorted.
Is there any reason now to contact Sky again? They obviously can't help and I very much doubt they'll offer any type of compensation from them cause I'm now going to have to pay an activation charge again.
Old 20 September 2009, 08:41 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

sky= bunch of tossers when you want to cancel, when i was changing to virgin the crap that they came out was unreal. Don't bother wasting any more time with sky as they have (as posted above) got sour grapes syndrome, even though i had to give 30 days notice to cancel with sky they they insisted that they had to cut my phone and broadband off with in 24 hours, they obviously do this to stop people leaving but it did the complete opposite for me and made my mind up to leave them 100%
Old 20 September 2009, 11:09 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

To be honest this has left such a sour taste in my mouth I'm seriously considering binning the sky tv and going for FreeSat.
Old 21 September 2009, 09:51 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

All the big companies are as bad as each other... I remember trying to cancel my NTL account, that was errr interesting...

I'm sure ceasing an account to generate a mac (or not) is against the Ofcom rules?

If I were you Matt, I would probably lodge a complaint with Ofcom...

You never know, the mac code might come through in the next few days. That is what I heard Sky did (maybe)...

If your dongle doesn't work, inlaws/outlaws can't help etc.. or for whatever reason, even though I am 20 miles away, my connection is available to you.
Old 22 September 2009, 09:27 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Cheers matey
The dongle goes from pretty fast HSDPA connection to dog slow GPRS to nothing at all. Not exactly stable lol but then I do live in a valley.
Old 01 October 2009, 08:32 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I got my activation confirmation on Monday which included the config info to put into my router. My activation date is a week today, imagine my surprise when rebooting the router with my new details that it's connected and working already!
Am I being naughty using it before the activation day? They say billing starts from that day!
Old 01 October 2009, 11:45 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Requested my MAC code from Nildram last week. still waiting for it................
Old 01 October 2009, 12:39 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

FYI, if you have any issues like this and especially if your provider doesn't give you a MAC code within 5 days, give OFCOM a call.

I had to do this for 100 business broadband connections with BT. I got straight through to them, they gave me a reference number and a special high-escalations phone number within BT that you can only call if you have an OFCOM reference number.

That got it moving pretty quick.
Old 01 October 2009, 01:12 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

You don’t have to be afraid to request MAC code as your broadband provider must supply you the MAC code within 5 days according to the UK law. Have your home phone number ready or your broadband customer reference as the customer service will want to confirm your identity. Requesting a MAC code does not mean that your contract will be terminated. In fact, you should terminate your contract after you have arranged a new contract with your new broadband provider. In this way you will not have any major downtime on your internet connection.
That seems fairly straightforward then!

And from the Ofcom website itself....

Please remember that if you are still under contract to your old Internet Service Provider (ISP), you may still be liable for payments under that contract. So if you want to switch ISPs, you may still need to pay for the remainder of your old contract.

There is a mandatory Migrations Authorisation Code (‘MAC’) Broadband Migrations Process which all Broadband Internet Service Providers are required to follow which sets out how they will handle customer requests to move from one ISP to another.

Where the problem remains unresolved, make a formal complaint to Ofcom.
Geezer

Last edited by Geezer; 01 October 2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01 October 2009, 05:02 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Oddly enough i got my MAC code this afternoon, could it be they held out till the beginning of a new month?