Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Broadband Deals?

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2009, 09:19 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Broadband Deals?

My daughter and two pals are moving into a London (SW17) flat today. I think the place has a phone line. They will each want to use wireless Broadband and possibly have a landline number although they will all have contract mobiles. I suspect they would like to get Sky but cost may be the problem.

So which is the best ISP to approach and what sort of deals/packages are on offer please?

I use Plusnet at home and had a brief chat with them. They would want £105 to connect the line if it has been discontinued. May be this is standard? Unlimited Broadband would be £11.99 per month increasing to £15.99 per month. Line rental £10.95 on weekend deal.

If I gave BT the exact postcode and address would they be able to tell me if a line is functioning?

Thanks, David
Old 25 August 2009, 09:32 AM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Check with the Mobile Phone providers, as people like o2 do good deals for home broadband if you are on o2.

call me a cynic, but i have found that BT seem to like charging the £105 for doing nothing more than flicking a switch as such.

The other option would be to check with Virgin Media to see what they could offer, as they dont charge anything near the £105 that BT do.
Old 25 August 2009, 10:17 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by David Lock
My daughter and two pals are moving into a London (SW17) flat today. I think the place has a phone line. They will each want to use wireless Broadband and possibly have a landline number although they will all have contract mobiles. I suspect they would like to get Sky but cost may be the problem.

So which is the best ISP to approach and what sort of deals/packages are on offer please?

I use Plusnet at home and had a brief chat with them. They would want £105 to connect the line if it has been discontinued. May be this is standard? Unlimited Broadband would be £11.99 per month increasing to £15.99 per month. Line rental £10.95 on weekend deal.

If I gave BT the exact postcode and address would they be able to tell me if a line is functioning?

Thanks, David
get them on plusnet and get your 50p per month discount off yours

yes that reconnect fee seems standard
Old 25 August 2009, 10:50 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Heres my recent ADSL sign up experience

Bought a house, phoned bt a few times for deals, all the same, no discount, i said i was looking at paying 25 pm max, tiscali do it for 20, they couldnt offer it me for that
as i will have to pay bt to switch the line on if i opt out of a deal i thought i might as well go with them
free anytime calls, option 1 broadband (10GB) and line rental for 32 pm
then after signing up, i seen O2 do adsl for 17 pm first 3 months free, they didnt do my area but still offered it me on a seperate package, so i signed up to that, told bt to cancel my adsl
i then read o2 wernt that good and then got an email off bt saying they will do the lot for 15.50 pm
so i cancelled o2

all ordered and cancelled within 24hrs of signing up
Old 26 August 2009, 07:17 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talk Talk.
£16 per month.
40 GB
Free overseas calls.
Free local calls.
Free UK calls evening/weekends.
Old 26 August 2009, 09:45 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster
Talk Talk.
£16 per month.
40 GB
Free overseas calls.
Free local calls.
Free UK calls evening/weekends.
Thanks - looks pretty good and should give them plenty of time for Facebook

I guess I need to add line rental to that? Do Talk Talk provide a decent service? Plusnet can be a bit iffy.

I may also have a chat to BT.

David
Old 26 August 2009, 09:57 AM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

David, the talktalk rate includes the bt rip £11.25 line rental, though I think it is now £17.74 per month not the £16 , Also think a free wireless router is in some talktalk offers though you need to hunt around.
Old 26 August 2009, 10:18 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks Ray - that's encouraging

David