Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

O2 broadband - any good ?

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2009, 10:02 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 broadband - any good ?

Want to change my provider (Wanadoo/Orange) and in speed tests / reviews O2 Broadband comes out really well.
Anyone have any experience good/bad ?

Cheers.
Old 28 July 2009, 10:05 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

A guy who I work with changed to O2 from Zen this year, and he rates them very highly.

I have heard that their ADSL Max product isn't fab, but their LLU one is.

Geezer
Old 28 July 2009, 10:10 AM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens

I'm using O2 on recommendation from a friend - he's had cause to use their helpline (house move) and was very happy with their helpline staff. I've had no problems so far, I'm using the basic package though.
Old 28 July 2009, 10:14 AM
MY99TURBO
Scooby Regular

O2 are realy good around my area they have english speaking people in the call centre and you get through in about a minute

i changed from aol which are rubbish although all my mates are tied in with them
Old 28 July 2009, 10:21 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

I did an online test (of my existing Wanadoo) and speeds came out at download 9.25mb (average 3.34mb) and upload 0.4mb (average 0.54mb)
Not actually sure if this is good or bad ! O2 says speeds up to 20mb but I guess depends on your area if you get anything near this ?

Last edited by RoShamBo; 28 July 2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 28 July 2009, 10:33 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MY99TURBO
O2 are realy good around my area they have english speaking people in the call centre and you get through in about a minute
The reason you say that is that they are based in the Leeds/Warrington areas - other mortals can't understand them

Seriously, recommended. I have two lines with them. They are uncapped, relatively quick, good customer service and cheap! £7.50 per month each it costs - you get a £5 per month discount for having a contract mobile with them as well and that could be a company phone.

Down in London.
Old 28 July 2009, 10:53 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by RoShamBo
I did an online test (of my existing Wanadoo) and speeds came out at download 9.25mb (average 3.34mb) and upload 0.4mb (average 0.54mb)
Not actually sure if this is good or bad ! O2 says speeds up to 20mb but I guess depends on your area if you get anything near this ?
Depends on whether your exchange has been unbundled. Go to samknows.com and put your exchange in. If it says LLU enabled and O2 is listed as a LLU provider, then you can have up to 24mb - depending on distance from the exchange and line quality - (not sure why they say 20) on ADSL2+

Geezer
Old 28 July 2009, 11:31 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Keep in mind also that Orange will be slowly rolling out higher speeds over the next few months. Was told this on a completely unrelated call to customer services a few weeks back.

Have only ever used 2 providers (3 including the Sky Broadband, unused in the other room) and have never had any sort of issue with Orange or BT really. Only reason I left BT was their prices were getting stupid.

With Orange I have my home phone line and the Broadband for £15 a month, so cant moan.
Old 28 July 2009, 12:02 PM
aaruck
Scooby Regular

v good
Old 28 July 2009, 12:34 PM
Blaadyblah
Scooby Newbie

Very good - much faster than BT
Old 29 July 2009, 09:22 AM
Rex93
Scooby Regular

Moved to O2 from Orange at the beginning of the year, very happy with the move to date.

Moved because of the price difference. The switch over was very easy, informed of dates etc etc via text and email from O2, service up and running on the date they said.

Went with the premium O2 package upto 20meg, was told when ordering the probable speed for my location (13meg) certainly a lot faster than Orange ever was and very noticable too.

My neighbour is in the process of changing from Orange to O2 also, recently receiving notification from Orange of a price increase for her service!!! (dont know if this is across the board)

Things to remember with Orange if you are using the livebox, it took them a while to send the envelope for return, dont throw it out or sell it on, they charge £100 if its not returned.

Make sure you cancel your direct debit with Orange 30days after your O2 goes live (as per contract) Orange WILL (well they did with me) try and continue taking payment for the service you are no longer receiving!!!

Have to add, I had no problems with Orange and was happy with the service they provided for the years I was with them.
Old 29 July 2009, 01:55 PM
frdsmth9
Scooby Newbie

Im more than happy with O2 so far.

I signed up with them after a bad experience with Sky. Signed up for an 8meg connection and from my speed tests, I get an average of 5 meg which is what I expected to get.

I pay about £7 per month and got it cheaper because Im an existing customer. Non O2 customers pay £12, so its a pretty good discount

O2 Home Broadband - Homepage