Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

xbox 360 3x RROD

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2009, 01:06 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xbox 360 3x RROD

Went to turn my xbox 360 on yesterday for the first time for a couple of weeks, powered up but didn't display anything on the screen. Powered it off and back on again and now all i get it the 3x RROD.

From looking around on the net there seems to be a common 'self fix'. This seems to involve taking it to bits, remote the heatsinks, re-apply heat transfer compound, then re-fix the heatsinks using different screws/small bolts etc.

Just wondering if anyone on here has tried it? I can't really see how this 'fixes' it but as mine is out of warranty I'm thinking it might be worth a try before I send it to MS and depart with a few of my pounds??
Old 12 July 2009, 01:44 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Did you know that you get 3 years warranty for the RROD ?

Might save you wrapping it in towels and such!
Old 12 July 2009, 05:42 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
Did you know that you get 3 years warranty for the RROD ?

Might save you wrapping it in towels and such!

Ah, thanks for the info..... I have registered online for a FREE repair MS doing something good for a change!
Old 12 July 2009, 11:04 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Sorted!

you will probs have it back within a week and it will actually look like a brand new machine (well mine did)

I just wish my new elite would make its ******* mind up and RROD!
Its starting to freeze up now, which is bizzare, its not even a year old?
and the freezes are getting more common place, lost a load of Gears 2 XP because the system thinks i am quitting early

I just wish it would RROD so i can get the thing replaced, the original machine lasted for some extreme abuse, the new elite i bought has hardly been used so much IMO

Second controller has started drifting left as well

Cheap ****e!

Last edited by StickyMicky; 12 July 2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 13 July 2009, 04:31 AM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

Get yourself a PS3.
Old 13 July 2009, 08:03 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScooByer Trade
Get yourself a PS3.

Why????

They are not much better, the lasers are failing, they cost a bit more, for the same basic thing, only with more sketchy games/especially cross platform titles.

Both of my mates who have one have had failed lasers

I have an original PS2 here in my office for boring days, it still works, fine, now that was a quality product, the PS3 is not!
Old 13 July 2009, 09:39 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes the 3 has it's problems but nowhere near the 60% failure rate of the MS Tuppawear box
Old 13 July 2009, 11:41 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
Yes the 3 has it's problems but nowhere near the 60% failure rate of the MS Tuppawear box
I've had 3 Xbox's fail on me, 2 of the Elites.

But I would much rather put up with this than have the PS3 as my sole game machine.
Old 13 July 2009, 10:32 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

I have the Elite no probs with it up to now. I don't mind really as long as it gets sorted/they sort it out at no cost to me

Can't say I would want a PS3.
Old 14 July 2009, 12:51 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

So it's a bit like owning a TVR then, you dont mind being without it every once in a while because it's broken down.

Crap analogy I know

I wont knock the x-box because it has it's place in the market, and has some good games, but I wont buy one because of the reliability problems, in this day and age I expect better than that and it would do my head in if i had to keep sending it back, I have enough crap to get through on a daily basis lol
Old 14 July 2009, 01:36 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
I wont knock the x-box because it has it's place in the market, and has some good games, but I wont buy one because of the reliability problems, in this day and age I expect better than that and it would do my head in if i had to keep sending it back, I have enough crap to get through on a daily basis lol
I'm the exact opposite to you. I expect this sort of thing in this day and age as everything is built to last 5 minutes.
Old 14 July 2009, 02:40 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

I agree to a point, there are a lot of electrical items built in Asia at a price where you know you'll get a couple of years use and then bin it and replace it, cheap CD/DVD/TV's etc.

But there's also the other end of the scale where you pay for what you get, eg you'd expect a Panny or Sony TV, to outlast anything half the price from a company you have never heard of. There are still a lot of people that take the old adage you pay for what you get.

Granted the games consol market is a different beast with 3 main manufacturers, with a handful of games only available to each consol but the majority of games sold, and I would imagine we are talking 80% + are available on all formats so price and reliability would/should be a considering factor when purchasing said machine for a large percentage of potential customers.

There will always be those MS/PS/Nin fan boys with brand loyalty who stick to the one consol regardless plus the super gamers who will buy one of each

Personally we have the PS3 and the Wii, we dont have an x-box because 1: I dont like the feel of the controller 2: we can play PS1/2 games on the 3 (so I must be in the brand loyalty demographic lol) But if I had neither and I know what I know about the failure rates and I had to buy my kids a consol that was going to get some serious abuse I wouldn't buy one puirely for that reason.

I mentioned it before, I wonder that one day it will just come down to software and we'll all be playing online irrespective of what hardware we are using, A nice thought but it aint going to happen whilst these company's are making billions each year
Old 14 July 2009, 07:17 AM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't know anyone who's still on their original xbox 360 but still wouldn't get a PS3...

My son has a 360, xbox 1, PS2, Nintendo DS and PSP already.
Old 14 July 2009, 10:58 AM
bish667
Scooby Regular

I used to be a loyal sony fan until i played a friends xbox and realised that the ps2 had no games close to the graphics of Chronicles of Riddick and Doom 3, so since that point i've ditched sony and now happy with microsoft.
Had my 360 for well over 2 years, did get RROD once but cant complain really.
Old 14 July 2009, 02:58 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funkii Munkii - We have a Commodore 64 in the attic of my folks home that i know still works, I can't say that for my original Playstation or Playstation2 says it all really

My Xbox Elite has been going strong for approx 2years now with not a flicker of RROD but i had about 3/4 standard 360's before that, they were feckin useless.
Old 14 July 2009, 09:52 PM
Phantom_Flan_Flinger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Norman Dog
I don't know anyone who's still on their original xbox 360 but still wouldn't get a PS3...
Up until last week I would have disagreed. My son's Xbox is from May 2007. Only got the RROD last Friday. Got picked up yesterday for repair.

Dave.
Old 14 July 2009, 11:12 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Funkii Munkii - We have a Commodore 64 in the attic of my folks home that i know still works, I can't say that for my original Playstation or Playstation2 says it all really

Better build quality in the 80's