Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iPhone OS3.0 unlock - Ultrasn0w released...

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2009, 08:07 AM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone OS3.0 unlock - Ultrasn0w released...

Get it here now...

Dev-Team Blog - Ultra's Now!

DN
Old 23 June 2009, 08:59 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I was just about to post that .... installing it now!

Steve
Old 23 June 2009, 09:10 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

On a slightly seperate topic: I bet Apple are not happy that Stephen Fry is such a supporter of the Dev Team. He seems to have a special relationship with them.

Steve
Old 23 June 2009, 02:11 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I need to read up, what's all this Ultrasnow business and how does it affect the phone and your O2 contract etc?
Old 23 June 2009, 02:16 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

.... did this about 4 days ago.. works well

ah I used redsnow
Old 23 June 2009, 02:41 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
I need to read up, what's all this Ultrasnow business and how does it affect the phone and your O2 contract etc?
yellowsn0w, redsn0w and ultrasn0w are, I believe, the code behind the jailbreak and unlock facilities for the iPod Touch and iPhone's.

There are different versions for the different devices/OS versions on the devices.

My understanding is that ultrasn0w is the latest and works on the 3.0 software on a 3G phone (NOT 3GS though!), and allows at the very least, jailbreaking (basically, allowing you to add third party applications, ie; not from the AppStore), if not unlocking (removing the network lock, ie; so you could use it on Vodafone rather than O2).

As for contract, it would not shock me if jailbreaking/unlocking the iPhone was in contravention of your contract with O2. As for warranty of the phone, again, you're essentially voiding the warranty by putting non-approved software on it.

I'm pretty sure that when jailbroken/unlocked, you can reset the phone back to normal via the iTunes "Restore" option.

Advantages of jailbreaking/unlock? Adding apps that are not in the store, for example, tethering apps. You can use a network other than O2, which is handy for some as O2 coverage may be crap in their area, or you may travel somewhere and wish to use a local SIM card to avoid horrific roaming charges

Disadvantages? Voids warranty, but as said, you can reset things back and no-one should know what you've done. When Apple releases an update to the software for the iPhone/iPod Touch, the jailbreak and unlock may well fail, thus if you upgrade then you lose the functionality the jailbreak/unlock provided. Of the two, it'd be the unlock that would be the big pain, as you'd not be able to use the phone side of things, as you would have unlocked it to work with a different network. You then have to wait for the dev-team to come up with an unlock, which could take a while.
Old 23 June 2009, 02:51 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Don't change the boot logo if possible, plenty of people have come unstuck when the phone won't fully boot nor restore and there's a Pineapple rather than an Apple on the front of their phone.

Marcus, ultrasn0w is purely an unlocking tool. From a Jailbroken phone use Cydia to install, the repository is listed on blog.iphone-dev.org
Old 23 June 2009, 02:57 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Does ultrasn0w block your baseband though? Or problem solved? I don't look much into unlocking as I have no need to.
Old 23 June 2009, 02:59 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by antc
Does ultrasn0w block your baseband though? Or problem solved? I don't look much into unlocking as I have no need to.
No it is fine. I now happily have a 3G iPhone working on T-Mobile.

Steve
Old 23 June 2009, 03:27 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Don't change the boot logo if possible, plenty of people have come unstuck when the phone won't fully boot nor restore and there's a Pineapple rather than an Apple on the front of their phone.

Marcus, ultrasn0w is purely an unlocking tool. From a Jailbroken phone use Cydia to install, the repository is listed on blog.iphone-dev.org
Thanks for that Jack. I've not read up on the whole unlocking/jailbreaking thing for a long time, mainly as I don't (yet) have an iPhone.
Jailbreak might be interesting, but unlocking won't be, simply as the only other carrier here that will handle the iPhone is Fido, and that is still part of Rogers, so not much difference in pricing/coverage. It would be nice if Bell/Telus were GSM, as there would be some competition for Rogers.