Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iPhone

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2009, 09:19 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone

Hi folks,

I picked up a new 32gb 3GS at the weekend, and although I'm fairly impressed so far, I'm a bit concerned about how easily it picks up fingerprints etc. For those of you out there who have one, what do you use to protect the screen?

Thanks,
Iain
Old 22 June 2009, 09:58 AM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

InvisibleSHIELD Iain... front and back 'invisible' cover - makes the case less slippery as well.

Should cost about £12 online

Anyway, I thought that the 3GS screen had some fancy coating that "actively repels the grease from fingerprints" - or summut like that.... I guess it's not great!

DN

Last edited by Dr.No; 22 June 2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old 22 June 2009, 11:21 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Anyway, I thought that the 3GS screen had some fancy coating that "actively repels the grease from fingerprints" - or summut like that.... I guess it's not great!
If it has, it doesn't work !!!!

I'd read a few dodgy things about InvisibleShield (not fitting correctly etc), so I wasn't sure about it...
Old 22 June 2009, 11:56 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

i just have a SENA thin leather sleeve. after 7 months, my iphone is scratch and dust free. it's the back that will bear the brunt of any scratching - the front is okay.

as for the grease, shirt front or a clean palm - watch out for scratchy clothes you quickly and absent mindedly wipe the screen on though
Old 22 June 2009, 12:26 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I think Iain's fingers were extra clammy cause of a new gadget
I've just got mine, and yeah you can see finger prints a bit but the main reason I want to get a screen protector is to stop it getting scratched.
It's sat here syncing music for the first time.
iPhone n00b question if I may? Once you've opened an app, then click the home button, is that app still open? if so how do you close it down? I'm thinking of the emense battery drain on my old N95 if you left too many things running
Old 22 June 2009, 12:29 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

AFAIK, when you press the home button, the OS gives the app something like 5 seconds to close itself down and it it hasn't by then, it kills the process - so no need to close apps.
Old 22 June 2009, 12:36 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
I think Iain's fingers were extra clammy cause of a new gadget
I've just got mine, and yeah you can see finger prints a bit but the main reason I want to get a screen protector is to stop it getting scratched.
It's sat here syncing music for the first time.
iPhone n00b question if I may? Once you've opened an app, then click the home button, is that app still open? if so how do you close it down? I'm thinking of the emense battery drain on my old N95 if you left too many things running
The application is closed down but is supposed to keep state so that when you launch it again it is where you left off.

One of the features of OS 3 is to have (official) background applications so things like messenger should be constantly running.

Steve
Old 22 June 2009, 01:24 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

cheers chaps
One more thing, what's the best way of transfering the contacts from my N95 (orange) to the iphone? I thought about bluetooth but I can't seem to get the iphone to want to connect to the N95. I really don't fancy having to type them all in!
Old 22 June 2009, 01:34 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
cheers chaps
One more thing, what's the best way of transfering the contacts from my N95 (orange) to the iphone? I thought about bluetooth but I can't seem to get the iphone to want to connect to the N95. I really don't fancy having to type them all in!
The iphone wont allow you import your contacts unless you have them in a format that it understands. That be can be anything like synching it with Outlook if you are on a PC or apple address book if you are on a mac. It then does it all via iTunes
Old 22 June 2009, 01:38 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Hi folks,

I picked up a new 32gb 3GS at the weekend, and although I'm fairly impressed so far, I'm a bit concerned about how easily it picks up fingerprints etc. For those of you out there who have one, what do you use to protect the screen?

Thanks,
Iain
I have tried the invisibleshield jobbie and found it lacking. Didnt even bother trying the back part as it was crap and fiddly. The front was easier to apply but got tons of bubbles even with its fancy rubberised squeegee.

So threw the lot in the bin and instead bought the

Black Air jacket from Powersupport

Power Support USA - Apple Accessories, iPhone Accessories, iPod Accessories, Touchscreen Protective Films

Much better as a case as it is discreet, slighted rubberised for better grip and has the proper access holes. But the winning point is that it comes with two free shields for the front of the iphone which are just as good or even better than the other brand. ANd free
Old 22 June 2009, 01:40 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I did mine via Outlook. Sync the N95 first, (so the contacts etc were shoved into outlook), then connected the iPhone and did another sync (which copied the contacts from Outlook onto the new phone).

p.s. No clammy fingers here, but it does seem to get finger printed quite easily. I'm using a lens cloth to wipe it now, which seems to work quite well...
Old 22 June 2009, 02:11 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I have the Zagg shield on mine - not perfect, but so much better than a case and it allows me to chuck the phone in any pocket without fear of scratching.

Mine has some manufacturing defects which detract a bit (3 thin lines), but I still prefer it than with a naked screen or a case.

PS further to Swiss' post any small air bubbles go after 3 days so you don't need to get them all out.
Old 22 June 2009, 02:14 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
PS further to Swiss' post any small air bubbles go after 3 days so you don't need to get them all out.

They didnt in my case

Though to be fair one of them was caused by the cat taking an unhealthy interest in what I was doing and sticking one of his bloody hairs on the phone just as I applied the protector...****
Old 22 June 2009, 02:30 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Get one asap or you'll regret it like me. The back on mine is crap and have a little scratch.

I'm hoping I loose mine so I can get one through my insurance
Old 22 June 2009, 02:53 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Its a phone, not a piece of art... use it and abuse it!

Ive had a 3G since release day without a case or protective cover and keep it in my pocket (without change). My screen had a hundred finger prints on it, but you cant see them when you're looking at stuff on the screen so I dont care about them. When I buff it up (once in a blue moon) it looks as good as new and hardly any different to my bro's 3G that has been in a gimpy rubber case.

Why spoil the design by putting it into something that makes it look like it was built 10 years ago?

Just my 2p
Old 22 June 2009, 03:23 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I went for the white back just for the purpose of it not showing all my sticky paw prints as much as the black case.
I've got my contacts in now, thanks again peeps!
I guess I should do some work now otherwise today has been a write off!