Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

ps3 - internet brower connection ??

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2009, 08:13 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ps3 - internet brower connection ??

Having just bought a ps3 now want to hook it up to the net to allow me to download free game demos etc, bit unsure how to enable internet access thru the unit ?? am using a wireless modem to get my internet signal to my laptop, the ps3 sees the " sky " connection but does not connect, any ideas ??

is there an on screen keyboard as such ??

easy enough to download these free demo games ?? ps3 is a 40GB version, any idea just what size an average demo is ?? url off these demo games ??

lastly, anyone advise how I go about putting a jpg photo I have here on a usb memory stick and using it as a wallpaper withthe ps3 ??

cheers.
john
Old 03 June 2009, 01:34 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by jono300
Having just bought a ps3 now want to hook it up to the net to allow me to download free game demos etc, bit unsure how to enable internet access thru the unit ?? am using a wireless modem to get my internet signal to my laptop, the ps3 sees the " sky " connection but does not connect, any ideas ??

is there an on screen keyboard as such ??
Just go to settings and then network settings and then internet connection settings and set it up from there. IIRC Sky routers have the pass key on a label underneath them, so just do easy set up, say wireless and then when it finds your router, just input the pass key from your router, et voila!

If you have already done that and it didn't work, try moving the PS3 next to your router and try it wired just to make sure you have no problems.

When you get connected, just press start to get the keyboard up. You can also plug a USB keyboard and mouse into it, or get wireless ones.

easy enough to download these free demo games ?? ps3 is a 40GB version, any idea just what size an average demo is ?? url off these demo games ??
Downloading is dead easy, just set up a PSN account then go to the Playstation Store icon and press x. Self explanatory from there. As for size, I have a 40GB and have plenty of demos and full games on there, but I must admit, you have to keep an eye on the space. Couldn't give an average for demos though, depends on the game.

lastly, anyone advise how I go about putting a jpg photo I have here on a usb memory stick and using it as a wallpaper withthe ps3 ??

cheers.
john
Not done it, but this may help

Geezer
Old 03 June 2009, 04:57 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Thats great appreciatte all the info mate will let you know how I get on !!
Old 03 June 2009, 10:06 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay quick update managed to get the new theme on the ps3 easy enough so thats fine, still having probs hooking up to the net thou, as I say in the earch it finds the sky router okay, I then input my network key but when I then go to try the connection test I get a message advising failed to read ip or similar and saying it has timed out ??

I notice there are a good few other settings within the internet connection just wonder if I have maybe got something set wrong here ?? anything else anyone can think off ??

as I said in my original message I know the wifi is working as it detects the actual sky router and also my router is sending out to my two other ps`s within the house just find it strange that I cant seem to get the ps3 connecting up which makes me 99% sure it a setting I have wrong ??
Old 03 June 2009, 11:08 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Just wondering if I possibly have to input my sky network key in upper case ?? if so any ideas how to get upper case on the on screen keypad off the ps3 ??
Old 04 June 2009, 01:47 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Press R2 shoulder button for upper case on the interactive keyboard, try that.

Geezer
Old 04 June 2009, 04:20 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Perfect all working now !!

appreciatte all the advice thanks again.