Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Do i need a server (or will any PC do?)

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2009, 07:26 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do i need a server (or will any PC do?)

My office set up is very simple....two lap tops that sync client files (using sync toy) and a client contact management application (using it's own sync abilities) each time those two lap tops are on the same network.....either at the office or home (me and wifey)

However, today wife is in the office and does loads of work and leaves at 3pm....I arrive at 4pm after client meetings and so now dont know what she has done and really need to sync files.....so.....

Do i get a simple bare bones PC that lives in the office and holds "master" versions of the things we need to sync or do i need a proper server? It seems £500 gets me just into the server world but a long way into the barebones PC options....what do i need?

Also - i assume a server still needs screen/keyboard etc? In fact....how is it any different to a PC????
Old 26 May 2009, 08:35 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

no different to a pc

the term server can refer to a piece of tin (PC/Workstation) -- usually the only difference is they have redundant components like power supplies etc

and it can also refer to software i,e, you get a server versions of windows (Windows Server) and a PC/Workstation version (Windows XP)

all are interchangable -- you can put Windows Server on a PC and Windows XP on a Server and vice versa

Server software usually allows more simultaneous connections to shares etc and has built in "redundant" features -- to macth the Server hardware -- but share 99.9999% of its DNA with the PC versions

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 27 May 2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 26 May 2009, 09:28 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

I'd just buy a cheap PC or even something like a NAS (Network Attached Storage) device for a few hundred pounds. The NAS box needs little setting up and won't need as much support as a pc,

Darren
Old 27 May 2009, 09:43 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

cheers guys