Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Help - I knocked my PC off the side of the desk :(

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2009, 12:39 PM
Tashman
Scooby Regular

Location: Wales, Looking at sheep grazing on a hill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help - I knocked my PC off the side of the desk :(

Ok folks, here is the scenario............

Coupla days ago I knocked my PC off the side of the desk (It's quite a drop) due to me having a clumsy day!!!!!!!!

Now when I switch it on it I get the Windows Boot Manager screen with the error message 'Windows Failed to Start' with the following details: -

File: \Boot\BCD
Info: An error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

So I inserted the windows recovery CD (It's an Medion PC from Aldi) and clicked the repair opption, it then came up with Windows found problems with your computers startup. so I clicked repair and restart.

PC then rebooted ok however next time I switched it on we were back to square one.......with the windows boot manager screen.........

Run a chkdsk after booting to a DOS prompt (via the recovery disk) and it said it found no errors, however when I do manage to boot into Vista when I click shutdown before the PC used to turn off, now it just goes through the shutdown process and then boots again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have also using the windows recovery disk re-installed Vista with a format on the HD first (All data that I needed was backed up) and still having the same problem.

Is this problem going to be the motherboard being damaged by the fall or is it likley to be a HD problem or worst case scenario both.........

Cheers
Tash.
Old 24 April 2009, 12:48 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

if your confident enough with comps then open up the case and just check everythings fitted properly, the shock may have loosened a cable, or slightly dislodged a connection.
Old 24 April 2009, 01:38 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Hard drive problem I think. Was the PC actually on when knocked off? If yes then if the hard drive was being used at the time it fell, the heads were probbably not parked and it's caused some problems.

Hard drives are a lot more robust now, but around 10 years ago this scenario would almost definately have resulted in a hard drive failure, they are better made and have more anti shock features, but I'd still suspect it.
Old 24 April 2009, 01:54 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Had someone at work do this a few weeks ago. It was a Dell and stands upright normally. Anyway the lad knocked it over while it was running.

Afterwards I did a bit of checking and to my surpise, the hard disk was donald ducked, along with the DVD drive. I was pretty astonished at the damage.
Old 24 April 2009, 02:13 PM
Tashman
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Tidgy, case opened and all cables/cards/cpu/ram etc.. checked to make sure all seated corretly and all feel like they are seated as should be ( I have even re-seated some just to be sure)

Miniman, yes unfortunately the PC was on when I had my clumsy moment (when I put it back on the desk, the desktop was frozen and on shutdown and re-boot that's when the problems started occuring).

Spectrum48K - Have to be honest I was suprised it even switched on as it is quite a drop to the floor from the desk...........

Is there any conclusive way of proving it is the HD?

Cheers
Tash.
Old 24 April 2009, 05:36 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

it will almost definately be the HD, all other components are solid state and either work or nothing, fit another HD, fairly cheap for a modest capacity drive.
Old 24 April 2009, 06:26 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Sounds like your disk is fubar, as others have said. When disks are off they're more drop resistant as the heads are "parked" over a spare part of the disk, but once they're on it becomes pot luck as to how an impact will affect them. Sounds like you've been unlucky.
Old 24 April 2009, 07:11 PM
Tashman
Scooby Regular

Looks like its time to go purchase a new HD............will let you know how I get on.

Once again thanks for the help folks, much appreciated.

Cheers
Tash.