Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

BT Homehub wireless!!

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2009, 01:54 PM
theboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BT Homehub wireless!!

Anyone else have problems with the new black Homehub from BT

I used to have the older white version, since changing this new one is hopeless for the wireless connection. My Xbox, Wii and laptop all have connection problems where as the old one was fine
Old 13 April 2009, 03:18 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

I have the Black one here ready to swap over ..... I haven't because I'm worried it will all stop working!

Can you not just switch back?
Old 13 April 2009, 03:31 PM
theboy
Scooby Regular

Yes i dont see why not. You can use any router. I also have a Belkin sat in a cupboard, i might give that a try before getting back in touch with the Indian call centre
Old 13 April 2009, 03:55 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

We had no end of problems with the new black homehub. It is now relegated to its box in the office. The lap top and xbox would not stay connected to it. I got sick of ringing India, so we are just using the old one, which is working fine
Old 13 April 2009, 08:57 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Haha - awful pieces of kit. I had a running battle with BT for about 12 months as the home hubs kept randomly dropping connections (they sent engineers out 4 times in the end even though they'd already fully checked the rest of the system and every engineer that visited said the home hubs are cr4p and they have a van full!).

I have 4 white ones and one black one - get a Netgear and you'll never look back. Just to see how they compared, I powered up all 6 of my modems (4 white, 1 black and 1 Netgear) - and used my laptop to gauge signal strength. Worst by some way was the black (!) - the 4 whites were of variable quality but the best was less than half the signal strength of the netgear (just an ordinary dg834g - cost me about £45 from memory). Covers the whole house (with the home hubs I used a wireline repeater) and everything is happy - XBOX360, Wii, DS, 2 laptops.

Good luck

Gordo
Old 14 April 2009, 12:11 PM
theboy
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that, i have a old Belkin kicking around in the cupboard which i might try. But i intend to contact BT as they made this big fuss about the new black one being the best wireless connection around!!!! MMMMM me thinks not
Old 14 April 2009, 01:56 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

I've had no problems with the black home hub, this is the first broadband/router i've had so cannot compare to any others.

Its not caused me many problems with connecting to my 360, about once every 2 months it loses the ip address and i need to powercycle the hub, thats as bad as mine gets.
maybe i'm lucky
Old 14 April 2009, 02:04 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

had a few different white ones myself, the current one seams ok but it will randomly switch the xbox 360 to "strict nat" for no reason, when you restart the router the NAT goes back to "open"

this is with a wired connection as well, not good!
Old 14 April 2009, 02:45 PM
theboy
Scooby Regular

Can you believe it 2 hours on the phone, and after all that it seems to be working. The complicated answer was to rename the hub. Some guy told me to remove the 2 from the hub name, all wireless is now working fine!!!!!