Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Reinstalling XP OS help!

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2009, 10:10 PM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reinstalling XP OS help!

Hi all,

Mrs chop's laptop is playing up. It hasn't been running well for a while, probably down to half the crap she downloads

I have all what was on there backed up, and now it has crashed and wont load XP. I have the code but it came preloaded with XP OS so I need a disk or download of the drivers or software. Where the best place to get hold of?

What do I do then? Go F2 BIOS setup and change to boot from CD, put xp disk in and start a reinstall from there? Or do I need to setup any partitions or do anything else?

Any pointers appreciated.

TIA

Chop
Old 23 March 2009, 10:24 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by chopper.

What do I do then? Go F2 BIOS setup and change to boot from CD, put xp disk in and start a reinstall from there? Or do I need to setup any partitions or do anything else?

Chop
thats about the size of it

when you get to the dos based setup you have the option of deleting the system partition (the one with the existing OS on), or just reinstalling over the existing OS (the setup routine is inteligent enough to recognise you have an existing OS) I think its best to delete it then recreate it and load the new OS

its fairly straightforward tbh (the only real gotcha is if you have 3rd part disk drivers, then you will need to press f6 and supply the drivers from floppy -- but i doubt you have this type)

(personally I like to have a C: and a D: -- coz you can keep all your data on the d
Old 24 March 2009, 09:11 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

TweakHound - The Right Way To Install Windows XP

Old 24 March 2009, 09:32 AM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys,

Do you know if there is anywhere online where I can download the XP installation files and burn to USB or CD. I haven't got a CD to hand.

Chop