Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Stupid pooter, you've just told me to...

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2009, 05:41 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid pooter, you've just told me to...

Installed SQL Server
decided that I want some extra features
go into setup and select said extra features
Installs
Install fails...
"to resolve this error remove x part of sql"
uninstalls x part of sql
re-runs sql setup
setup can't continue as it needs x part of sql
it re-installs x part of sql
setup runs
select extra features
Installs
Install fails........
Old 12 March 2009, 08:07 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a SQL/Oracle DBA but what are you jabbering about !
Old 12 March 2009, 09:03 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

He's just jabbering, he's known for it D Just kidding.

You could drop back to the previous release version, uninstall sql server, then install the prior version, see if that works. If it does, you could try an upgrade and see if the new version installs the extras.
Old 13 March 2009, 11:11 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

not sure how simpler i can put it. I have a sql cd, i install sql but not all the features ie dont go into custom install and tick all the boxes. SQL installs. I go back into the install wizard on the same cd and tick some more boxes so more features are installed. It cant because sql is there already so what you have to fully uninstall everything and do a full install??? kinda have to make sure you do this then if its a production server.
Anyways i get the same replies from other IT people. What is it with IT people and websites unable to explain in english...im thinking im not longer cut out for it...

Yeah Markus i do jabber
Old 13 March 2009, 07:27 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Did-ya reboot between just about every change that you made?

I remember going through this malarkey when trying to install CRM (client) - there are soooo many different components that you have to do things very slowly and one thing at a time!

mb
Old 19 March 2009, 11:43 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

I just stick the cd and run setup, it installs the prerequisites, native client app
I select just the database option, enter instance name and it installs for a moment then gives me this.

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Setup
------------------------------

There was an unexpected failure during the setup wizard. You may review the setup logs and/or click the help button for more information.

Details
Product: SQL Server
ID: 50000
Source: setup.rll
Version: 10.0
Component: SQL Server Native Client
Message: A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file '%.*ls'.

Explanation
An attempt was made to install (or update) SQL Server Native Client on a computer where SQL Server Native Client is already installed, and where the existing installation was from an MSI file that was not named sqlncli.msi.

User Action
To resolve this error, uninstall the existing version of SQL Server Native Client. To prevent this error, do not install SQL Server Native Client from an MSI file that is not named sqlncli.msi.

-------------------------------------------

note it says an attempt was made to install native client..(YOU did that computer). To resolve uninstall existing version of native client (there WASNT one YOU installed it computer because its a prerequisite of setup so it can run!) To prevent this error dont install native client from a wrong msi file..(I DIDNT, YOU did computer, its on the friggin CD!)

Do you see what I mean that this will go round in circles or am i missing something???

Last edited by InvisibleMan; 19 March 2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 19 March 2009, 09:41 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Funnily enough, i have been having a problem installing SQL Express on Vista. So i typed a chunk of the error message into AltaVista (i don't "do" Google") and found the answer.

Doing a search on "uninstall the existing version of SQL Server Native Client" comes up with Installing SQL Server 2008 express on Windows XP SP 2 without reading the manual - any use??

mb