Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Resident evil 5 thread

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2009, 12:08 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Resident evil 5 thread

My copy just arrived!!! Can't wait to play it!

Leave your thoughts on the game here, folks!
Old 12 March 2009, 12:14 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Yep, mine arrived this morning too Won't get a chance to play until the weekend at least though
Old 12 March 2009, 12:32 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Whats it like then?

I'm on the last chapter of Dead Space and fancy another 3rd person scary jobbie.
Old 12 March 2009, 12:43 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Is it any better than the demo?
Old 12 March 2009, 01:04 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think its **** to be honest. On the 360 .. I hate the view and the controls and have put it away now for ever !

The PS3 version has good reviews.
Old 12 March 2009, 01:22 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

I had the demo on PS3 and it was woeful. Such a shame, could have been great, but there is no excuse for keeping that control method nowadays.

Geezer
Old 12 March 2009, 01:27 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
Yep, mine arrived this morning too Won't get a chance to play until the weekend at least though
Ditto!

I wonder why they've kept with the old control system too, maybe it's because if the make the game amenable to run and gun style playing, it'll loose a lot of it's tension and just become more frenetic?

Ns04
Old 12 March 2009, 01:32 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

I could have easily dismissed the game after playing the demo, as many people will. Reason I won't is that I know I'll get used to it just like in RE4. If it's half as good as RE4 with shinier graphics I'll be more than pleased.
Old 12 March 2009, 03:17 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I've had it for two weeks you have to keep playing it to get into it and used to the controller. I'm on chapter 3 so far ! Not played it alot as hawx has taking over but gonna try and complete it over the weekend
Old 12 March 2009, 03:20 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i wanted to like it, i kept going back to the demo, must have tried the original jap demo 4 times (on CDR ) and the uk download demo twice (once to see if the controls were better and the second time to give it another chance)

even now i see this thread and think "i should give it another chance tonight" but i know i will think its crap
Old 12 March 2009, 03:47 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I tried the demo on the 360 and thought it was crap. It's the first time I've played a RE game since the original on PS1 and I noted it was virtually identical with the same crap control system (rooted to the spot when shooting), and all that poncing about mixing herbs. Left 4 Dead kicks its *** into the middle of next week.
Old 12 March 2009, 03:50 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Seams to be getting good reviews mind!

Resident Evil 5 (xbox360: 2009): Reviews
Old 12 March 2009, 06:13 PM
D.O.M
Scooby Regular

Received my copy this morning too. Had a little play and so far am liking it a lot (but then again Im a mad RE fan!).

Am I the only one who liked the demo then?! I have to admit, that controls took some getting used to (think it was 3 years ago since I last played an RE game) and know what you mean about not being able to run and shoot, especially when you get ambushed by hordes of manjinis! But then I guess that adds to the tension, and that's what RE is about... it makes you panic in those situations.
Old 13 March 2009, 12:57 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by boobiman
Received my copy this morning too. Had a little play and so far am liking it a lot (but then again Im a mad RE fan!).

Am I the only one who liked the demo then?! I have to admit, that controls took some getting used to (think it was 3 years ago since I last played an RE game) and know what you mean about not being able to run and shoot, especially when you get ambushed by hordes of manjinis! But then I guess that adds to the tension, and that's what RE is about... it makes you panic in those situations.
Spot on: I think one reviewer summed it up fairly well: the point of retaining the control system of no run and gun is that when the hordes approach, you have to work out whether to stand ground and hope you can drop em before they get too close, or peg it and take the occasional pot shot. Ok, so it's a rather contrived way of creating tension, but it certainly works! I can't see this game working gears of war style! In fact, most seem to be of the opinion that RE5 is at it's weakest when using the stripped down cover and shoot system. Based on experience of RE4, I'd agree with that sentiment. It's not an out and out FPS, and shouldn't play like one IMHO!

Ns04
Old 13 March 2009, 01:43 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I played it for a few hours yesterday, and not used to the controls yet.One of the early battles involves you and your partner (can't remember her name now) battling loads of zombies. No problem, but then a huge axe wielding badass arrives as well.Died about 4 times until I did it. As above, you have to pick a few off, run away for a bit. Pick some more off, throw a grenade, blow up a barrel etc. etc. Quite different especially as I have just finished COD5, Resistance 2, Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2 all in that sequence since Xmas.
Old 13 March 2009, 02:09 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

the question is though ......is it worth it ,i picked up a copy in asda then put it down until i know if its worth the £32 or can i get it any cheaper i think i'd be happy with £29 if any knows if anywhere sells it at that
Old 13 March 2009, 03:09 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zs_phil
the question is though ......is it worth it ,i picked up a copy in asda then put it down until i know if its worth the £32 or can i get it any cheaper i think i'd be happy with £29 if any knows if anywhere sells it at that

tyipical tight-**** yorkshireman

just got my copy,and im gonna unlease it tonight when the young lad gets in from school.........................as i never knew it was a 2 player full story

marcus
Old 13 March 2009, 04:42 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ethanrob
tyipical tight-**** yorkshireman

marcus
do i know you as you seem to have got me spot on to be honest i bet i spent more than the £3 difference driving from asda to argos ive found in online for £29 but i like to have something there and then so i can get straight on it
Old 14 March 2009, 12:40 AM
lloydee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StiX
I played it for a few hours yesterday, and not used to the controls yet.One of the early battles involves you and your partner (can't remember her name now) battling loads of zombies. No problem, but then a huge axe wielding badass arrives as well.Died about 4 times until I did it. As above, you have to pick a few off, run away for a bit. Pick some more off, throw a grenade, blow up a barrel etc. etc. Quite different especially as I have just finished COD5, Resistance 2, Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2 all in that sequence since Xmas.
This was one of the stages on the demo, Public Assembly.
I found it difficult at first as zombies come at you from every direction, and that axe wielding executor is a real b****!!

I found the easier thing to do was to run into the bus as soon as he broke the gate as once inside, the executioner cannot harm you, so you just pop all the zombies, and when you get a chance, have a few shots with the shotgun at the executioner. Works a treat.
Old 14 March 2009, 01:30 AM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

Location: On the PC, sipping a beer and listing to old skool choons :)

Recieved my copy (along with little free Chris Redfield figure ) and feckin love it, playing it through on vetran, and it is HARD!
Was ripping my hair out before trying to kill that flying maggot thing, but have clocked it now, but am stuck on the huge beasty dude that grows flappy things

Ive always been a massive fan of Resi, and this offering is by far the best once you get used to the controls (the bluetooth headset is good fun too if like me you have mates playing through the same levels) sat there shouting at your mate even tho your on your own in front of the telly

Anyway, back to it
Old 14 March 2009, 06:04 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

well i bought it , £32 from asda but i feel so guilty will have ago tonight if she lets me
Old 14 March 2009, 06:40 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i bought it as well for some reason as i suspected i would not bother, picked it up this morning around 10am

just had to stop playing as i was getting a sore **** from sitting still for 7 hours

up to the start of chapter 5 now so not to much left although i suspect another 2 or so hours to finish, i will be replaying this game a few times i reckon, its just that much better as an experiance compared with what the demo was showing it to be.

some thoughts, after the first few sections i quickly got used to the controls and to be honest, i totally forgot about not being able to run and shoot.

the graphics are absolutely awesome in my opinion, a real test of the 360 hardware and i have never saw any graphics slowdown or tearing or anything like that so far, the cinematic are top notch!

for some strange reason i don't have my achievement for finishing level 1-1 although i got past the start of the "demo" level, and then joined a co-op game starting on the "demo level"

i will probably have to redo that section alone to get that achievement i suspect.

some of the story is a bit "think of yer own story"

the level on a gun boat while a big fish thing attacks (gears 2)
the level inside a tomb (err tomb raider>?)

Last edited by StickyMicky; 14 March 2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 14 March 2009, 08:59 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedymonkey
but am stuck on the huge beasty dude that grows flappy things
what me and some other random XBL chap did was place the proximity mines down on the floor, "tempt" the flying thing over towards them while the other one shot the mine to blow it up, once the monster thingy is crying on the floor then shoot the pink fleshy stuff up its ***

we exhausted all our ammo, we were both nearly dead, the other lad had 1 single sniper rifle bullet left (i had nothing left at all) and lucky for us that was the final shot that we needed.
Old 15 March 2009, 06:27 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Finished this around 4pm today

you unlock some bits and bobs when you finish

mercenary mode seams pretty good, like decent version of "the club"
strange costumes ? i was quite impressed that the new costumes affect all the in game cut scenes/videos, so they must be all done with in in game engine?

so your next play through can have the characters dressed up different

not sure what the figures things are, and i was supposed to unlock the gattling gun for the next play through but i cant see it ?
Old 18 March 2009, 05:05 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by StickyMicky

the level on a gun boat while a big fish thing attacks (gears 2)
the level inside a tomb (err tomb raider>?)
Level on the ship....Metal gear solid 3?

For all its faults, it's still a very "more-ish" game. Just can't see why it took them so long. Much of the mechanics of the game appear to be the same as RE4; it just looks much nicer and has the co-op feature.

Ns04
Old 18 March 2009, 09:35 PM
D.O.M
Scooby Regular

Just been playing it for the last 4 hours
Completed the tomb stage... had to stop because that level was giving me a headache... think it was the running around the room and up and down the stairs
Old 19 March 2009, 11:14 AM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

Just got my 1st 360 elite, deal from argos included a 2nd black controler + RE5, so a bit of an introduction to game play!! think I need a bigger tv.

also just got to bit with the Chainsaw guy, up to 4th attempt any hints?

Ps whats the best way to "pay" for any extras/gold after the 1st month, all new to this stuff

Last edited by Ray T; 19 March 2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 19 March 2009, 01:12 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Ray T
Just got my 1st 360 elite, deal from argos included a 2nd black controler + RE5, so a bit of an introduction to game play!! think I need a bigger tv.

also just got to bit with the Chainsaw guy, up to 4th attempt any hints?

Ps whats the best way to "pay" for any extras/gold after the 1st month, all new to this stuff
Shoot in head, when he stumbles, run up to him and hit him, retreat, repeat x3-4. Jobs a good un!
Old 19 March 2009, 04:43 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i just kept aiming for his eyeball and then throwing grenades at him lol

managed to beat him by myself on veteran the second time around
Old 30 April 2009, 04:38 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

19.99 from shopto.net

bargain