Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

And for my next project.....

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2009, 01:59 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default And for my next project.....

My last one was to re-cycle an old pc into my garage where it now sits playing MP3's, lurking in standby for whenever I need music, just took a bit of creative repackaging and some alterations to a spare 17 inch CRT to turn the desk mount bracket into one that attaches to the wall, works fantastic, the P3 laptop just wasnt up to the job.

So,

Now down to four spare pc's, of different vintages, oldest and slowest being a 1 gig Duron, fastest being a 2.9 P4.

I have a garden cabin, 15 foot by ten so was thinking I could set up a fairly decent network gaming environment using the old pc's just need a few screens and some other bits, a router, some games and a few evenings farting about.

What do you reckon ? I think it could be great fun for me and my three lads, their mates etc. There si a big table in there, plenty of space for four players, 4 pc and all the gubbins in the middle, there is power and light in there so its jus the setup.

I was thinking Linux to avoid licensing issues and to make best use of the old hardware, doesnt need to be anything graphically stunning, remember how much fun Doom was on a Lan ?

So whats the best distro, suitable games, a source of cheap LCD's (Think I have everything else) and any other pointers
Old 09 March 2009, 02:15 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used to love playing Half Life over the office LAN year back.
Old 09 March 2009, 04:05 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a nice idea but won't you be limited by OS and hardware to the number of games you can get?

Wolf 3d, Doom all good a dozen years ago but would they cut it with the yoof of today?
Old 09 March 2009, 06:07 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hank,

I know what you mean but in our house we have all the consoles, a decent pc, PSP's, DS's and all the latest gadgets, one think we realise is that you can still have fun on older stuff, ok, I am not advocating Lan sessions on the Atarti 2600 Combat game but even stuff 7 or 8 years old is still playable if not cutting edge graphics wise, Unreal Tournament is still top fun and still looks fairly decent, I think a game like that, four players plus Bots could be a lot of fun.

Mine still love the original Half Life, its funny they will ignore stuff that just looks nice if it doesnt play well, i dont think things have moved on that far and its still about the total experience, I would much rather play multiplayer on my own monitor than sharing a quarter of a telly screen like they do on the 360, that just sends me scatty.