Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Three computers, one printer...?

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2009, 12:38 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Three computers, one printer...?

Hi,

I have just bought another two computers, making a total of three. I have one USB printer, and wondered how I can set it all up so I can print to the printer with all three computers?

One computer has XP, the other two are Vista. They're all in the same room, and connect to the internet via a wired router. They're not on a network (sounds too scary to set up!).

Thanks for your help.
Old 09 March 2009, 12:46 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Setup printer sharing on the computer where the printer is attached. This will allow the other machines the ability to "see" the printer. The downside is that the machine the printer is attached to will need to be on when you want to print.
Old 09 March 2009, 01:50 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Or do a search on a USB print server. You can share the printer via a switch / usb hub and then you won't need to leave one machine switched on. I think Linksys do a good one
Old 09 March 2009, 05:55 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Butkus
They're all in the same room, and connect to the internet via a wired router. They're not on a network (sounds too scary to set up!).

Thanks for your help.

If they all connect to the same router they effectively are on a network. Getting the network set up properly would be pretty easy. Then the print server is the best idea (they go for about £30-40 IIRC) or else Markus' idea is next best.

M