Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wii problem

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2009, 07:49 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wii problem

Hi all,

I purchased a Wii today (pre owned from Game) with a few games, brought it home and set it up to my Hitatchi LCD tv and the sound is fine, but the picture is black and white. I've checked all the connections and they are all fine, the sound is fine but the picture is wrong.

I tried contacting Nintendo support but office is closed, i'm tempted to take it back in the morning but I just wondered if anyone can suggest if I have done something wrong or is it a faulty system/cable?

Forgot to add I set up a Wii for my parents at xmmas and theirs simply plugged in and it was sorted so I was expecting the same this time?
Many thanks
Old 01 March 2009, 08:03 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Is it set to PAL or NTSC ?

Or is it set to Composite/SVIDEO/RBG etc and mismatched with your TV
Old 01 March 2009, 09:24 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

IT's a PAL, I think the problem maybe that the connecting wire has the three plugs (red, white and yellow). However my TV has the red and white holes, but instead of the yellow one it has a further 3 holes for connecting the video input.
Looking on Ebay there is a HD style cable for the Wii, which has the two video plugs plus a further 3 which would fit my tv, would this sort the problem?
(Sorry i'm rubbish with the technical terms)
Old 01 March 2009, 09:31 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Havent you got one of those SCART to 3 phono socket adapters, that is what I use on the Wii at the moment

the red/white will be the stereo, and the 3 phonos will be red / green / blue coloured, if so these are component, yellow is composite

That one on ebay sounds like the one you need for your TV, or one of those cheap scart adapters
Old 01 March 2009, 09:37 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

the connection in your tv are component cables

red green yellow for video,
red and white for audio
the cables that comes with the wii are composite

yellow for video, and red and white for sound

solution 1 , get a set of component cable for wii, for better pic quality

solution 2, if your tv don't have the composite ports,

get one of those
Old 01 March 2009, 10:28 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

I got a HD component cable for my wii I actually think the picture is worse as it makes things rough looking - I went back to the normal 3 plug one you get with the console
Old 02 March 2009, 07:44 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice guys, I checked on game.co.uk, and they do the component cable for £10 so i'll be down there first thing.

Scoobyverysoon, suprised you didn't like it, i've read all good reviews about the cable and the improvements to the pictre?
Old 02 March 2009, 10:16 AM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
Thanks for the advice guys, I checked on game.co.uk, and they do the component cable for £10 so i'll be down there first thing.

Scoobyverysoon, suprised you didn't like it, i've read all good reviews about the cable and the improvements to the pictre?

I read the same - I actually thought my lead was faulty so had it replaced and it still looked poo - yes colours are better but everything had jagged edges - also on some games there were weird faint lines on the screen like mario galaxy

they should do a propper HDMI cable like my PS3 has thats mint

TV is 1080p and I also set the wii settings corectly so god knows why it looked poo - it could be my TV`s component ports
Old 02 March 2009, 01:36 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Hi Mate. Noticed this has happened when I take my Wii round to my mates house and plug it into one of his SCART sockets using the supplied 3 connectors via the SCART adapter, which you should have had and is not RGB enabled. Plugging this into a different SCART gives me the colour etc... I'm currently running mine through an RGB enabled SCART lead, the 1st one had a brake in the cable and lost a colour so was coming through as Blue, replaced this and all was fine. Could be a setting in the Wii settings menu for picture type. Try using 50Hertz setting to start with.

Last edited by jpor; 02 March 2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02 March 2009, 07:56 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
Hi Mate. Noticed this has happened when I take my Wii round to my mates house and plug it into one of his SCART sockets using the supplied 3 connectors via the SCART adapter, which you should have had and is not RGB enabled. Plugging this into a different SCART gives me the colour etc... I'm currently running mine through an RGB enabled SCART lead, the 1st one had a brake in the cable and lost a colour so was coming through as Blue, replaced this and all was fine. Could be a setting in the Wii settings menu for picture type. Try using 50Hertz setting to start with.
Sorted the problem out now, the Wii I bought didn't come with a Scart adaptor, I went out and bought the HD cable brought it home and the cable was bloody faulty!

So I took the Wii back to game, they tested it in the shop and found no problem with the console, so they gave me a scart adaptor which I should have had in the first place and they also replaced my faulty HD cable, so now I have my Wii in full colour and running on the improved cable.

Happy days.

(P.s before someone points out it's not a proper HD setup, I am aware but I'm rubbish with the correct names)