Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

OSX resizing windows...

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2009, 09:41 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OSX resizing windows...

This is my experience so far with my 1 month of osx use...

"Standard windows can only be moved by dragging their titlebar. Unified windows can be moved by dragging anywhere within the titlebar/toolbar area. Brushed metal windows can be moved from any brushed metal portion of the window. All three types of windows can only be resized with the resize handle at their lower-right corner, which has one large usability issue - if a window is located at the right and/or bottom of the screen, you will need to move it in order to make room in which to drag the resize handle. If the window's lower-right corner is off-screen, you will have to move the window before you will be able to resize it! Also, because the resize handle is located in the corner, you cannot specifically resize the window only in one direction (to adjust just its width, for example) unless your mouse movements are precise."

Is this true?!

I was positive that a competent OS wouldn't insist you moved a window (if it's on the right of the screen) before you can resize to the desired window shape

so far my only gripe, but if you're spending hours in a desktop it's not insignificant
Old 04 February 2009, 11:44 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

If you are talking about Finder windows then the green button should, in theory, resize it so it at least fits on the screen.

I'm just going to play with Applescript and see if this holds true when the original bounds of the window are off screen.

** edit **
It looks like clicking the green button in a Finder window will, if the size exceeds the bounds of the screen, will resize it so it fits the screen and thus allows you to use the resize item to resize it.

If you want a little script to resize the frontmost window to a specific size and position on the screen, let me know and I'll knock one up for you.

Last edited by Markus; 04 February 2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04 February 2009, 04:17 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Its always been like that, no big deal really, you'll get used to it.