Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Eset Smart Security

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2009, 03:03 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eset Smart Security

I have 5 pc's and laptops with either Norton or Kaspersky security on. Now these work well in the background with Kaspersky occasionally asking if you want to block or allow certain activities.

Is Eset Smart Security ok for a computer numpty? When they start asking me if I want to block or allow programs, well I just don’t have a clue.

Is it going to be better than Norton and Kaspersky?

I know its been done before and I had made my mind up to get 5 user license for Eset, then somebody told me you had to decide yourself to block or allow and therefore no good for numpties(like me).

And I'm definitely getting a mac soon.
Old 23 January 2009, 03:31 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Otherwise know as NOD32, you don't really get a better home/small to medium size business antivirus then ESET.

It will be infinitely better then the two AVs you mentioned.
Old 23 January 2009, 04:18 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
Otherwise know as NOD32, you don't really get a better home/small to medium size business antivirus then ESET.

Thanks. But, will it run autominously or does it require the user to choose options. One of the laptops is my daughters so will she be shouting Dad all the time.
Old 23 January 2009, 04:34 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Dedrater

Smart security has included firewall and spam mail scanning. Nod32 is just antivirus on its own.

Its not quite as user friendly, but its simple to use and the default settings are usually all you need anyway.

We use nod32 at work across 10 systems with no issues. We had kaspersky before this, and I found the later version used more system resources, whilst nod32 uses less resources (just as well as three systems are Pentium IIIs with 384meg).

At home I use Smart security, spam filter is pretty good (if you use outlook express/windows mail). But I note the firewall does use more system resources, so probably not so good if your computers are a struggling a bit for CPU power and RAM.
Old 23 January 2009, 05:40 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MMT WRX
Thanks. But, will it run autominously or does it require the user to choose options. One of the laptops is my daughters so will she be shouting Dad all the time.

You can choose how you want the firewall to run, I like to know so have mine set to prompt every time something new asks but you can have it more auto than that (but obviously not as secure).
Old 24 January 2009, 10:39 AM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Thanks

They are all fairly well spec'd machines so I will probably give it a go. I think you can do a 60 day trial anyway.
Old 24 January 2009, 11:44 AM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

30 day free trial, but make sure you download it to your computers first, then remove any other antivirus before installing it.
Old 24 January 2009, 12:12 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular