Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Speccing up a new computer - help please :-)

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2009, 01:35 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speccing up a new computer - help please :-)

Hi,

I am in the process of speccing a new computer from the Dell Precision range, but I have a few questions and wondered if anyone here might be able to help!

1) I am going for 4gb of RAM, but what is the difference between having 4x1gb DIMM and 2x2gb DIMM? What are the pros and cons?

2) The computer will have 2 graphics cards to run four monitors in total. The cards are Nvidia NVS 290 (256mb). I know these are capable of running the resolution I require, but do you need a card with 3d capability to watch DVDs on your computer? I'm thinking not, but want to check.

3) What are the advantages of having two hard drives, and what does RAID mean? If I have two hard drives, it seems they can be in a RAID configuration.

I know there are a lot of questions, but I don't know where to go to ask. Thanks!
Old 22 January 2009, 02:02 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Butkus
1) I am going for 4gb of RAM, but what is the difference between having 4x1gb DIMM and 2x2gb DIMM? What are the pros and cons?
Not a lot of difference, unless you want to put in more ram later. With 2x2gb sticks, you can upgrade to 8gb just by sticking in another two. With 4x1gb sticks, you'll have to replace the lot.

2) The computer will have 2 graphics cards to run four monitors in total. The cards are Nvidia NVS 290 (256mb). I know these are capable of running the resolution I require, but do you need a card with 3d capability to watch DVDs on your computer? I'm thinking not, but want to check.
Absolutely not. Any modern gfx card should be able to this, (and most old ones too)/

3) What are the advantages of having two hard drives, and what does RAID mean? If I have two hard drives, it seems they can be in a RAID configuration.
More storage space. If you put the OS on one drive, and your files on the other you can get faster access times.

RAID is a way of organizing disks and there are many different configurations(try googling it) basically you can set up multiple disks to look like one disk, have two discs with the data replicated across both (for data backup etc).
Old 22 January 2009, 02:07 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

RAID is a way of organizing disks and there are many different configurations(try googling it) basically you can set up multiple disks to look like one disk, have two discs with the data replicated across both (for data backup etc).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. I did google that part actually, and now have a bit more of an idea what it's about!

Cheers again!