Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iphone Question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2009, 06:08 PM
jayb1970
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iphone Question(s)

Looking for some help guys. I have just bought an iphone and need to know the best way to get my contacts on to it from my Nokia 6500. I have backed up the nokia to PC Suite but to be honest I'm buggered if I can find where it has put it !!! The only way I can seem to get a list of my contacts is to plug the phone in, I'm sure there must be a copy of them somewhere on my PC? If so how do I transfer them?

Next question is, I have an Orange Livebox and the iphone will see it but it won't connect to it. Is there something I have to set up first?

Thanks for the help
Old 19 January 2009, 06:47 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

From the very little I know, what you may be able to do to get the contacts transfered is to import them into Outlook, and then sync the iPhone with outlook and it should bring the contacts across.

I'm guessing you want to connect the iPhone to the wireless side of the LiveBox? You'd need the wireless network name, also known as the SSID, the encryption type (WEP/WPA) and the password to get onto the wireless network, you should then be able to enter that information into the iPhone's settings to allow it to use the wireless network.

Last edited by Markus; 19 January 2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 19 January 2009, 06:57 PM
jayb1970
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that markus, I will give all that a go.
Old 19 January 2009, 07:40 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

on the livebox there is a wep key underneath and you have to put it in , then the box has to be put in to pair mode holding down the 1 key on the back

change your livebox settings encryption to wep not wpa as the iphone dont like the wpa ,i found out after 2 hours of trying at my aunties.

Contacts on noika pc suite there should be a choice to back up to outlook do that then then connect the iphone then press sync it then should work

Last edited by Ant; 19 January 2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 19 January 2009, 10:47 PM
jayb1970
Scooby Regular

Just spent the last 2 hours trying to get my contacts from my nokia into outlook!! Gave up in the end and just typed them all in by hand sore fingers now.

I will try the live box thing tomorrow

Cheers
Old 20 January 2009, 10:07 PM
Pumpkin
Scooby Senior

another iphone question

can I send files from an apple macbook laptop to it via bluetooth.

I occassionally have to email a photo from location to a newspapers sports desk and my current way is clunky - put on minisd card, put card in my xda, email using grps. old phone is falling apart and i'm not sure what to get next.
Old 20 January 2009, 10:50 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

nope iphone only uses bluetooth on headsets and hands free kits
Old 20 January 2009, 11:00 PM
Pumpkin
Scooby Senior

bum. I could with a cable though couldn't I?
Old 20 January 2009, 11:44 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Hmm, tricky one. I have a feeling if you sync your photos with the Macbook an optimised version gets placed on the iPhone, this you could easily email but may not suit your needs.

I got lucky and managed to get the Netshare application so can tether my iPhone, you can Jailbreak and enable the same feature or O2 may release this in the future.
Old 21 January 2009, 04:52 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
When I connect my iphone into Vista by the cable I get a prompt with some options such as transfer pictures etc. It sees the location of where the iphones photo folder is as effectively a memory card allowing you to access it. This is done independently of itunes.
Does it actually allow you to copy files when you select the option? I thought that the iPhones and iPod Touch didn't have Disk Mode, well, not without a jailbreak or third party application. I'm not being argumentative, I'm curious. Perhaps if I got an iPhone I could stop asking others and find this out myself

As Jack said, when it comes to pictures, you can sync them via iTunes, however, it will downsize them from the original resolution, probably to preserve disk space and memory when viewed.
Old 21 January 2009, 05:06 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Does it actually allow you to copy files when you select the option? I thought that the iPhones and iPod Touch didn't have Disk Mode, well, not without a jailbreak or third party application. I'm not being argumentative, I'm curious. Perhaps if I got an iPhone I could stop asking others and find this out myself

As Jack said, when it comes to pictures, you can sync them via iTunes, however, it will downsize them from the original resolution, probably to preserve disk space and memory when viewed.
yeh it does, but when you plug it into the xbox 360 and things like that it doesnt register as disk mode
Old 21 January 2009, 09:31 PM
jayb1970
Scooby Regular

Right I have selected WEP encription and it asked me to enter the WEP key. I assume that is the long number underneath the livebox(24 numbers/carachters..sp) but it wont accept the key that I put in. Any ideas guys?

Sorry, I am coming accross as a bit of a technophobe
Old 21 January 2009, 10:19 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jayb1970
Right I have selected WEP encription and it asked me to enter the WEP key. I assume that is the long number underneath the livebox(24 numbers/carachters..sp) but it wont accept the key that I put in. Any ideas guys?

Sorry, I am coming accross as a bit of a technophobe
put the box into pairing mode the number one key on the back
Old 22 January 2009, 08:33 PM
jayb1970
Scooby Regular

Cheers antc , will be trying that when I get a chance.