Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Internet problems

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2009, 02:55 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internet problems

Hi, im having some really anoying problems with my internet connection.
First problem is every now and then, i get a connect message, even though im connected, when i click on connect, it tries to connect via miniport, im using wifi!
This goes on for 10 mins sometimes before suddenly connecting. When i carry out a system test, is says there's no problem, and im connected!

The other problem i have, is connecting to this and some other sites, it now and then comes up with 'url failed, that link appears to be broken' This will go on for a while, on some but not all sites.
A computer restart sometimes cures it, but not allways.

Please help if you can, it's driving me nuts!!!

Thanks,Mit
Old 17 January 2009, 11:14 AM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

you're connecting via a wireless router then?

3 things to look at .... 1) check to make sure there's no timeout / sleep settings on that router i.e. no settings that wake the connection up on use etc - you want it on permanently (couple of isp's used to do this to reduce connections in order to give them better shared bandwidth statistics) 2) check your browser connection settings - these should be set to connect via lan as default - ideally have other connection types removed so it definately can't get confused 3) check your proxy settings in the browser too - most of the time these settings should usually be blank / disabled in small or domestic network environments.

if none of that works, some more details would help too - operating system version including service pack level if running microsoft, browser version, screen grabs of the error messages you get, make and model of wireless adapter you're connecting too, make and model of wireless device in your machine oh and, kitchen sink if it's there too lol! Basically as much as possible
Old 17 January 2009, 11:18 AM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

oh and .... does this problem occur when you're using the machine generally or is it once you've gone to do something and then come back to it 30mins later kind of thing? - if it's the latter then check your pc & wireless device powersave settings too
Old 17 January 2009, 02:05 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply, sounds like you know your stuff
I'll give the points you mention a look, sorry i didn't give more info.
Vista home premium
Sky sagem wifi router

My girlfriend also has a laptop connected at the same time, with no problems, so i imagine the routers ok?

I'll let you know about the mentioned points.

Thanks,Mit
Old 18 January 2009, 01:33 AM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

I know some stuff about some things lol! - always beware the man that claims he's an expert 'cos he's usually a ......

Must admit i'm not too hot on vista since i defected to linux after my xp machine needed its 3rd rebuild but one of my mates has to support vista for part of his job so i had a word with him bout it. After a brief brainstorm we have a couple more questions / things to look at lol .....

check the network icon in the system tray. when you're connected successfully to the internet that icon usually has the two normal little monitor squares signifying the network connection but also should have a little globe in front of them. If the globe isn't there then that's a starting hint to investigate further (could be a couple of things).

also, is performance / connection problems worse on a sunday? - i know it sounds a weird one to ask but i'll explain once you answer lol

next is what operating system and service pack is your gf's lappy running? - that system is now in effect now the base / control comparison since it works

final comment is .... the sky routers are noted for being a bit "janky" sometimes and have demonstrated on more than one documented occasion poor but also inconsistent performance with no particular traceable or identifiable causes. Some machines just randomly work worse than others with them. Usual approach is to try a different unit but obviously that's easier for me to do than many since i've usually got several different manufacturers kit knocking around in stock as i'm a network installer amongst other things