Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

One last network set-up question

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2009, 04:11 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question One last network set-up question

Well I've not got my router up and running, and my laptop connecting to it fine and I presumed that was the end of it - but no, another problem!

My desktop is connected by an ethernet cable as I think it's probably too old to go wireless anyway. On Thursday when I set the router up the computer was on already obviously, and I didn't have any trouble at all getting the internet through the new router.

I obviously leave my router on all the time, and today when I turned the desktop on I got a message saying "limited or no connectivity" and so couldn't use the internet as it wasn't connecting properly. Opened the network connections bit and it's a LAN problem...not the internet. If I unplug the router(power off) for a few mins then plug it back in, my desktop magically connects fine...so it must be because the router is on before the PC.

Does anyone have any ideas why my PC has a problem with this, or how to fix it?

Thanks again

Alan
Old 17 January 2009, 06:21 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually find that after changing settings you need to re-boot the PC to effect the changes made, so fiddle re-boot to check and then hopefully it's all sorted for next time you log on !

HTH

dunx
Old 18 January 2009, 02:19 AM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The limited or no connection error message is usually only caused by a couple of things. Normally means it's got the ar$e ache cos it couldn't pick up a dhcp address (automatically assigned address) or because it "thinks" it doesn't have a physical connection to a network device.

Things to check if it does it again are ....

- Do you have indicator lights at each end of the link on the ports that the cable is plugged into

- What connection speed and duplex mode does the card report

- Have you picked up a dhcp address

Assuming you have link lights (probable since you've said it was working previously) i'd place my bets on it either being a handshake / negotiation problem with the card or even more likely a dhcp negotiation problem.

Focusing on dhcp negotiation as the likely candidate, if it does it again do this : open a dos-box and type the following (without the speech marks) "ipconfig /all" then press enter.
if the local interface i.p. address is 169.something.or.another then it's defaulted to a generic microsoft fall back address and not negotiated properly with the dhcp service from your router which will then effectively stop it from functioning properly. You could faff about trying to find out why it's happening but a quicker fix is to simply give the pc a static ip address in the routers range instead

Last edited by scoobymad555; 18 January 2009 at 02:21 AM.