Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anyone fitted a Slim-line Laptop DVD drive to their AMIGA 1200?

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2009, 06:49 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone fitted a Slim-line Laptop DVD drive to their AMIGA 1200?

Currently own a 1995 ESCOM made AMIGA A1200. At the moment I already have an internal IDE buffer card which has a 2.5" 6GB Laptop HDD connected and also connected to the outside of the case is a DVD-ROM drive with it's own power source
Have been thinking about replacing the external full size DVD-ROM drive with a slimeline laptop DVD drive and modding the case so it can be installed internally. Has anyone done this? Or can pint me in the direction on how to do it?

Am I right in thinking that the slimeline laptop IDE drives use a standard full-size IDE cable? Or does this also use the same IDE cable which powers a 2.5" HDD?

At the moment I have Kickstart 3.1 and Workbench 3.1 installed. As I have a 68030 Accelarator board fitted which runs with an extra 32MB RAM (I know, but it was a lot in the 1990's with a CPU running @ 50Mhz) would it be worth upgrading the O/S?

Thanks.
Old 12 January 2009, 12:08 AM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Can't answer your question I'm afraid.

Out of curiosity, what do you use the Amiga for ?
Old 12 January 2009, 12:37 AM
haroldhettaturbo
Scooby Regular

Only had a scuzzy 4X dvd dive connected to mine when i used it
Old 12 January 2009, 12:40 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spectrum48k
Can't answer your question I'm afraid.

Out of curiosity, what do you use the Amiga for ?
At the moment going through a mid-life crisis and decided to have a look out for one on E-bay last year, fancied an A4000 as it was the dream machine at the time I couldn't have afforded to own back in the late 80's early 90's but in the end decided on another A1200 for space and practicallity. I tend to use it for playing old retro games and also things such as the Eric Schwartz Demos and as the basis of the O/S is quite close to LINUX/UNIX which is a field I currently work in, and fancied playing around with it. The DVD ROM side of thing is so I can load up Cover discs as well as CD32 games (have a couple at the moment such as Project-X and Pinball Fantasies) for which i have working at the moment. The Accelerator card will help with big demos and making the games work a bit faster.

What do you use yours for?
Old 12 January 2009, 01:54 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
At the moment going through a mid-life crisis and decided to have a look out for one on E-bay last year, fancied an A4000 as it was the dream machine at the time I couldn't have afforded to own back in the late 80's early 90's but in the end decided on another A1200 for space and practicallity. I tend to use it for playing old retro games and also things such as the Eric Schwartz Demos and as the basis of the O/S is quite close to LINUX/UNIX which is a field I currently work in, and fancied playing around with it. The DVD ROM side of thing is so I can load up Cover discs as well as CD32 games (have a couple at the moment such as Project-X and Pinball Fantasies) for which i have working at the moment. The Accelerator card will help with big demos and making the games work a bit faster.

What do you use yours for?
I have an A1000 complete with original box and packaging, etc.. from '87 when I got it. Beautiful machine, and the nicest keyboard I'd ever used. Sadly it hasn't been out in a while. So sad when Jay Miner passed away in the 90's - it was a beautifully designed games machine to code for.

Amiga-wise I never went beyond the A1000 as I got my first PC a few years later and never looked back.
Old 12 January 2009, 04:55 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Sounds a great project - sadly not one I can help with.

You could try

Amigaworld.net - The Amiga Computer Community Portal Website
Amiga.org - The site for Amiga support and news

Good luck with it. I'm still using Win/e-UAE at the moment but hope to revive my A4000 and/or A1200 when I get chance (although I've been saying that for years!)
Old 12 January 2009, 05:39 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jowl
Sounds a great project - sadly not one I can help with.

You could try

Amigaworld.net - The Amiga Computer Community Portal Website
Amiga.org - The site for Amiga support and news

Good luck with it. I'm still using Win/e-UAE at the moment but hope to revive my A4000 and/or A1200 when I get chance (although I've been saying that for years!)

Cheers Jowl will give them a look
Old 12 January 2009, 05:43 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spectrum48k
I have an A1000 complete with original box and packaging, etc.. from '87 when I got it. Beautiful machine, and the nicest keyboard I'd ever used. Sadly it hasn't been out in a while. So sad when Jay Miner passed away in the 90's - it was a beautifully designed games machine to code for.

Amiga-wise I never went beyond the A1000 as I got my first PC a few years later and never looked back.
So never experienced the AGA chipset then? Oh well. Out of a matter of interest has anyone installed the newer O/Ses such as 4.1 on their Amiga? Was it worth it?
Old 12 January 2009, 06:06 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

I've got an AmigaOne and a OS 4 disc for it but can't remember whether I installed it.

Another project that I will have to get around to.

I wouldn't thought upgrading a 68k (especially 030) machine to 4.1 would be worth it. But I could be wrong!
Old 12 January 2009, 10:21 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

I've got an AmigaOne and a OS 4 disc for it but can't remember whether I installed it.

Another project that I will have to get around to.

I wouldn't thought upgrading a 68k (especially 030) machine to 4.1 would be worth it. But I could be wrong!
I believe the later O/S brings more functionality but to those who have modded cases which can take PC type graphics cards. One of these is the ability to play modern music types such as MP3s. I beleive my machine with the Accelerator meets the minimal benchmark. May give it a go
Old 13 January 2009, 08:26 AM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Cool. Let us know how you get on.
Old 13 January 2009, 05:53 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Cool. Let us know how you get on.
Will do Got some research to do first though
Old 13 January 2009, 08:38 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

A2000 with GVP (8 Mb and SCSI !), twin floppies and a layer of dust...

So many disks !

LOL

dunx
Old 14 January 2009, 07:22 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
A2000 with GVP (8 Mb and SCSI !), twin floppies and a layer of dust...

So many disks !

LOL

dunx
Nice.