Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Daft ISP question

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2009, 03:26 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Daft ISP question

Hi all

I'm due to have a laptop delivered tomorrow and want wireless broadband. The desktop my parents use has broadband already but has nothing to go wireless with the laptop. I also don't really fancy sharing the internet connection. So I'm wondering if the thing to do is just get myself another internet service provider - O2 looks good value for money - or is that a stupid idea? Is it even possible to have two providers in the same house?

Even though I use computers all the time, I really don't have much of a clue about wireless etc, as you'll be able to tell , so I definetly need some advice.

Oh also - what's the script with using a hotel's internet connection on a laptop when you are staying in one? How does that work?

This is really a serious question, and not a wind-up.
Old 13 January 2009, 04:28 PM
kernel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can only have one ADSL service per phone line so unless you have a second line you can only get an independent Internet connection using a mobile phone dongle thing.

If your parents have a router you may find it has Wireless on it already, if not get a wireless router and share.
Old 13 January 2009, 04:35 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Any specific reason why you don't want to share the internet connection? It would be the far, far simpler and cheaper option as you'd either replace the existing ADSL modem/router with a wireless modem/router, or you could get a wireless base-station and wire that into the router to provide wireless connectivity to whatever wireless clients you have.

As for multiple ISP's to the same house with just one phone line coming in, I don't think it's possible to do this due to the way ADSL works. What might work would be to get another line put in at which point I think you'd be able to have ADSL on that line and use whatever ISP that you wish. You'd probably want to look at dry loop ADSL, as that would allow you to have the line put in, but not have phone service, thus no phone bill per-se, though I'm not totally sure how it works.

Another option would be to have cable internet, if that's available in your area, as that wouldn't use the phone line.

To be quite honest, I really would go with the wireless basestation / router/modem route as it's going to be the most cost effective and simple solution.

As for hotel internet connection. Typically it's wireless, and you ask them for the network name (SSID) and password, and then you go onto your laptop, find their wireless network and then connect to it using the password they supply. You will probably find that certain ports will be blocked, so no downloading stuff from Bit Torrent. They may also block FTP access as well, and I'd not be at all shocked if they block port 25, which is typically the port used to send emails to a server other than the ISP's mail server, thus outlook may not be able to send emails.
Old 13 January 2009, 04:45 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Ok, thanks for the replies. Think I'm getting more of a grasp of things now.

I don't mind sharing connection as long as I don't have to have the desktop on to use it. All I have is a ADSL modem thing that has two cables coming out of it. One is a USB, and the other is the cable to the broadband filter, and then the phoneline.

Presumably I can just buy a router from Orange(current service provider) then?
Old 13 January 2009, 04:52 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

PC wouldnt need to be on

Wouldn't say you have to buy the router from orange, you can get them from likes of argos, pc world etc.

Could try asking orange for one, i know people who have managed to get them from AOL for free, usually means being tied down to another 12 month contract though.
Old 13 January 2009, 04:58 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDriverWannabe
PC wouldnt need to be on

Wouldn't say you have to buy the router from orange, you can get them from likes of argos, pc world etc.

Could try asking orange for one, i know people who have managed to get them from AOL for free, usually means being tied down to another 12 month contract though.
Thanks.

Jesus, I really am behind the times.

There is a really good computer shop near me(just a small business), and they offer genuine advice, and get you what's best for you, so think I'll go there tomorrow for the router.

Cheers for all the help, and Markus - appreciate the detail.

Alan
Old 14 January 2009, 08:17 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

dump orange and go with o2. with o2, you will get a nice new wireless router so you can share with your parents desktop.

if you dont want to move and been with orange for a while, i suggest you give them a call to get a free wireless router from them and also reduce the price. just tell them you want to move coz others are doing it cheaper.