Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PS3 Advice....

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2008, 05:23 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS3 Advice....

Just bought myself a nice shiney PS3 yesterday in GAME for £309 with Call of Duty War Of Worlds and Resistance 2....bit late now i suppose to ask this but do yous think i have made the right choice????

I've been thinking of buying one for a while now and weighed up the pros and cons of each for a while but was always veered towards the PS3 as i had a PS1 before, and still have a PS2, so wanted to stick to something i know well

I was gonna trade in my PS2 in mint condition with 8 top games but was only offered £32.80 FFS....so i just held on to it

So before i open up my nice new PS3 here, could someone advise me as to whether i would be better keeping it or leaving it back for an x-box at £130 opposed to the PS3 at £309....i know PS3 has a blue ray player as well, but is it worth the extra money (£179), and would a playstation owner who is used to the controls of a PS for years be happy with an X-Box?

Ohh and how do i get set up for online gaming as i want to get into this too. I have a BT Home Hub running wireless broadband....what console is best for on line gaming and are both easy enough to set up for this? Wouldnt mind some online gaming with COD

Opinions please from all you lot asap....I know this is a can of worms here but i have the PS3 sitting in my front room and dont wanna be £150+ out of pocket for no better console that I wont be any happier with, my head is fried lol, cant open it up until im sure as GAME wont refund/exchange unless its sealed and unopened

Why is nothing simple in life

Cheers
Old 29 December 2008, 05:37 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

you didn't think to ask this before shelling out 300 squid?

I just got one and I think it's excellent - although you'd have saved 15 quid going to HMV
Old 29 December 2008, 05:41 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I've got both. Got about 11 games for the PS3, and well over a hundred for the 360.

Both great machines, but apart from the blu-ray and being a bit quieter in operation, the PS3 doesn't do anything that the 360 doesn't do, and in quite a few cases the 360 does them better.

I'm glad I've got both (got a Wii as well to complete the trio), but if I had to pick just one it would be the 360 every time.
Old 29 December 2008, 05:41 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Very happy with mine but I'm not a hard core gamer and have no opinion on the xbox as I've never used one.

Wife is enjoying it too so that's a bonus as well.
Old 29 December 2008, 05:53 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChefDude
you didn't think to ask this before shelling out 300 squid?

I just got one and I think it's excellent - although you'd have saved 15 quid going to HMV

Well ive been thinking about it this past while and thought i would always get the PS3 cuz i had a PS1 and PS2 before, but now when i look into it the x box seems to be every bit as good and A LOT cheaper, but im still a PS fan deep down though ....are the x box controls much harder to get on to than the PS?

Any opinions on how the two compare for online gaming, i know x box charges for this but are the two easy enough to get into online gaming with??

I have COD World at War so would probably be getting this on x-box too if i exchange the PS3, and would probably get Forza Racing too, thats IF i change it to an x box tomorrow morning.

Dont wanna open up the PS3 tonight and then decide i want the x box when its too late, damm i hate decisions

Last edited by RB5 Boyo; 29 December 2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old 29 December 2008, 06:03 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

As far as controls are concerned, they are pretty much the same. Personally I much prefer the xbox controller (and the triggers work well for driving games), but it really depends on personal preference.

My experience with online gaming has been one of "you get what you pay for". The PSN is free, but it is not in the same league as Xbox Live for reliability, features, speed etc. I found the PS3 online experience to generally be frustrating. Problems finding games, disconnections mid-game etc. Unfortunately, both services seem to be full of loud mouthed american teenagers. I don't begrudge my gold live subscription at all (which you can get for about £29 a year if you shop around so it's not exactly expensive).
Old 29 December 2008, 06:06 PM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

Really dont buy Sony just because you owned a PS1 and PS2. I had those also but went for the 360 purely for the superior online gaming. Yes you do have to pay £30 a year but you get a far better service. The games on both consoles have must have titles. As far as the controller most reviewers have stated that the 360 controller is the most comfortable to use that's ever been made for a console.

I am biased I admit but for the closeness of the decision surely its not that big a decision at all when you look at the cost of the two machines.

Either console you will have hours of fun but my vote is the 360...

I'd get a refund and spend all that cash on 4 or 5 games!!

P.S I forgot about the Gamerscore achievements on the Xbox. You have no idea how good an idea that was by Microsoft until you actually start earning them. They really are addictive and help you get the most out of each game you buy!!

Last edited by nathanb; 29 December 2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 29 December 2008, 06:11 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Weve got both and would defo choose the 360 over the PS3. Online gaming is much more fun with XBOX.

Take it back!
Old 29 December 2008, 06:42 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

X-BOX is winning at the moment then....anyone use thier PS3 for surfing the web? Can you do this with the x box as well? I like the sound of surfing the web on my nice big widescreen TV

Can anyone compare playing on the same game on the two consoles, say d=for example COD World At War?? Many differences?
Old 29 December 2008, 06:50 PM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

I can yes. I've played COD on both. I personally could not tell. If you put them side by side maybe. Like I said earlier, the 360 would win out of the two versions for online play and Gamerscore....
Old 29 December 2008, 06:56 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Sorry, the 360 hasn't got a web browser (although rumours are that one may be coming). Never used the one on the PS3, so haven't missed it myself.
Old 29 December 2008, 07:09 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Games are exactly the same on both consoles. Ive surfed the web on PS3 but without spending out more money on a decent wireless keyboard with integrated mousepad, its hard work.

Typing using the onscreen keyboard is a pain and using a wireless keyboard without an integrated mouse is also a pain.
Old 29 December 2008, 07:14 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

I use the browser on the PS3 as viewing vids on YouTube on the TV is better than the PC (obviously the quality of the video makes difference). Also you can use the iPlayer on PS3.

It may just be me, but viewing TV progs on a PC screen is just not right!

If you have a superb huge, widescreen PC monitor then that may not be much of an issue.

I think both 360 and PS3 can stream video from your PC, so nothing to chose there.

Geezer
Old 29 December 2008, 07:20 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Has the BBC finally sorted out iPlayer for the PS3 or are you still using the unofficial one?
Old 29 December 2008, 07:28 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

AFAIK, the official one still isn't available.

Geezer
Old 29 December 2008, 08:25 PM
Normski
Scooby Regular

Location: Stirlingshire; Wrx type RA STi version 2 V-Limited; #097/555

No, BBCi player works fine now. I just watched the Royal family.

As for the original question. For a pure gaming machine, the xbox360 is better considering the price, how most cross platform games run better on it and the online side being better.
If your interested, the PS3 has Gran Turismo, Metal Gear (plus a shrinking list of other exclusives). A built in blu ray player, web browser (though it's much easier on a PC).
I have both because they each have things that the other doesn't.
Old 29 December 2008, 09:49 PM
WaltonWRX
Scooby Regular

Don't you have to pay to do online gaming on the 360?

With the ps3 its nice and free!!

Could be wrong about the 360 tho, But I love my PS3
Old 29 December 2008, 09:56 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

So far (couple of weeks), I've done GRID, Burnout and Guitar Hero online on PS3 with no problems at all. Thoroughly enjoying it as well, much better and more reliable than networked PC gaming I've done in the past.
Old 29 December 2008, 09:57 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WaltonWRX

How do you rate the online gaming with the PS3, is is user friendly and nice to use? I really want to get into online gaming and have some cross country fun with my new console you see

X-BOX live is around £30-£40 a year for subscription but im told its flawless and better to use than PS3....pity i have brand new boxed PS3 in the front room and still dont know what to do yet....

Thanks for all opinions and recommendations so far....just getting mixed reviews as yet lol
Old 29 December 2008, 09:58 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WaltonWRX

Come on its only £40 per year(£3.35ish per Month)and like what Iain said you can find it even cheaper if you shop about.
Old 29 December 2008, 10:56 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

The 360 can also be used as a "remote" Media Centre using the Windows Media Centre interface from your Windows MCE/Vista machine. If you're into that kinda thing.
Old 30 December 2008, 05:14 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

surfing on the PS3 is fine its great for watching football when its not on sky and you can zoom to whatever level you want so it fits full screen - defo need a keyboard though as its a pain to type with the joypad
Old 30 December 2008, 06:20 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Problem solved today....went back to GAME to exchange the PS3 for an X-BOX and the ******* wouldnt change it because they said the seal on the box was broken....which it was but it had been like this since I got it as I hadn't even opened the damm thing ....pretty pissed as I hadnt touched the bloody thing but there you go, great service from GAME, NOT ....God knows if someone had my PS3 before me im thinking now as the seal had not been broken by me but obviously been broken by someone .

Anyway I think someone is trying to tell me something so i am going to keep the PS3 and be happy. I even exchanged Resistance 2 for Grid Racing as I had played it already and liked it....GAME also only gave me £20 for Resistance (still in new wrapping) as they said it was second hand , and then charged me an extra £10 to upgrade it to Grid Racing which was costing £30 FFS

Anyway , Rant over, I will be setting up the PS3 tomorrow and getting online....anyone any tips for getting set up, or anything i need to know??

Cheers everyone
Old 30 December 2008, 06:26 PM
Maxxed_Ross
Scooby Regular

you're better off IMO, I've had both and I like the PS3

I suppose mainly because it's a bit quieter, has more titles that interest me and the controls are what I'm used to

I just can't the hang of the Xbox controls at all. After playing a PS1 and 2 since they first appeared it all seems so alien lol
Old 30 December 2008, 06:32 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

GRID is a good choice (but only 19.99 in gamestation!)
Old 30 December 2008, 06:43 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

should of taken it to another game and tried your luck and the cheeky ******* could of exchanged the game not traded it in ,you should have put the lot on ebay if all else failed
Old 30 December 2008, 07:12 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you'd have been happy with either overall, so enjoy I'm a PS3 owner, have played on a mates 360. The 360 is leagues ahead with online play, but as I'm an anti-social bar steward, I can live with that

The PS3 catalogue of games is growing, and cheap ones are available now, so you should be ok for keeping yourself entertained. I've become more picky and choosy over my games these days, so am happy to get a game now and then provided it offers me longer lasting entertainment, which appears to getting rarer these days, but at least they haven't disappeared completely.

Bummer about GAME, but at least you can get on with some gaming now, enjoy
Old 30 December 2008, 08:25 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

niceone

Just got dark sector brand new for £7.00 didnt get good reviews but for 7 squid im not complaining
Old 30 December 2008, 08:35 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Yeah GAME didnt impress me at all but there you go you live and learn....the queue in the store both yesterday and today of 20+ people at the tills though tells me that GAME wont mind that im not happy lol

Anyone much experience of online gaming with the PS3, especially on COD nad Grid??
Old 30 December 2008, 08:37 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zs_phil
should of taken it to another game and tried your luck
Tried two GAME stores and they both said the same thing about the seal....i pointed out that it was just a bit of sellotape and that it hadn't been touched but they were having none of it and told me to go to customer services FFS

Quick Reply: PS3 Advice....