Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Media Centre project build

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2008, 11:39 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Media Centre project build

Done a few threads in the past few days re a media centre I plan on building
I have now finally reached the spec that I will use and that is as follows;

AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ processor retail
Gigabyte GA MA78GM S2H motherboard
3GB DDR2 800mhz ram (PC2-6400)
320GB Samsung HD322 F1 Sata drive
Arianet Synergy HTPC Case - Will be temp until the new year
LG GGC H20L BluRay drive (also plays HD DVD and DVD)
Arianet Mendia centre remote control
Laptop Style Wireless Keyboard
Compro S350 dvb S pci card - already got
Abit pcie wireless card - already got

After advice in another thread I am going to use vista media centre and possibly some other 3rd party apps (progdvb, dream dvb and another)
I am only using one card at present as although it will currently allow me to get hd broadcasts it may change in the future so I will then get a dvb s2 card (dual tuner probably)

This is going in my tv unit at home and will replace my sky+ box and upscaling dvd player, and will be connected to a 42inch hyundai 1080i plasma, and a sony HD AV amp running a 6.1 speaker setup

Right im off shopping

Will post pics of the bits and the build and then at the weekend once everything is up and running and in place the finished article (if anyone is interested anyway )

Last edited by jaytc2003; 17 December 2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old 17 December 2008, 12:14 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Id get a SilverstoneTec chassis myself.
Old 17 December 2008, 12:17 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I'm interested
Old 17 December 2008, 12:20 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Also: your fixed disk is way too small and your PSU WAY too cheap and noisy (and unstable).
Old 17 December 2008, 01:12 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Id get a SilverstoneTec chassis myself.
There are a few silverstone cases I am looking at, as well as some thermaltake. Im just an impatient kind of guy and the local suppliers dont have cases like that so I just got a cheapo one which will do for now so I can do the build

Originally Posted by GC8
Also: your fixed disk is way too small and your PSU WAY too cheap and noisy (and unstable).
I will be using a higher spec psu from my current desktop (think it is antec) it is quiet and powerful

The hd I was thinking of going bigger, however I will partition it into 2 drives, 1 for the operating system and any programs (prob about 80gb) and the rest will be for recorded programs only (in effect just a more expensive sky + box). Also I tend to find the higher the capacity disk the more likely it is to fail.

I will also be getting a network drive to connect direct to the router though and that will have bigger capacity storage solution (access available to my desktop and laptop and xbox 360).
Old 17 December 2008, 01:46 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

I just got one of the Aria Synergy cases for my budget HTPC build. It is cheap, granted, but I was on a very tight budget. The PSU fan is not noisy, the two 60mm case fans are noisy. I replaced these anyway - I kinda thought that this may happen with any case - I'd find some component that was too noisy. Next for noise levels, is my CPU and graphics card fans (and hard drive spin up/access), so actually nothing to do with the case.

The PSU is 400W and seems to be pretty beefy, I doubt at the selling price it's actually 400W, but it's better than a 300W PSU I tried on another case. I don't know how easy it will be to change this though. It's actually at the front of the case, with an internal cable from the back of the case to front.

The blue power LED on the front is also far too bright for a living room/below TV affair. But this can easily be shielded/faded.

Otherwise it's a pretty innocuous unit and definately worth the money if you are on a budget. But all in all, if I had the money (which you seem to given the rest of the spec), I'd go for something better than this case.
Old 17 December 2008, 01:54 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Miniman cheers for that I have some decent fans from years gone by lying round so I will probably swap them out them. The motherboard has on board graphics so that is silent so it will only be the psu and the cpu fan. I will be using artic silver (think its 5) on the processor instead of the thermal pad, so hopefully that will reduce temperatures (everything I have read says it will) and so the fan will run slower and therefore quieter.

Will get piccies later of the bits, and in stages as they are going together.
Old 17 December 2008, 11:39 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

My own personal view, not shared by many Im sure is as follows. Dont make the mistake of looking for too much CPU power, because you dont need it. You need a stable unfeatured system board and the best quality memory and PSU that you can reasonably afford. Add to that a reasonable low to mid range video adapter with an HDMI port and a CL sound adapter with a digital out. People always seem to go way too far on a HTPC, but you should limit yourself to the spec thatll comfortably do what it needs to do and no more. Your goal is stable, able and quiet. Massive CPUs and video adapters are wasted and power = heat and heat needs cooling with cooling bieng noisy.... Add a large quiet fixed disk and your choices of optical drives and a decent Silverstone chassis and youre away.
Old 18 December 2008, 01:58 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

I always like to have a bit in reserve. The motherboard has everything I need, decent graphics capable of running hd stuff smoothly, and also optical dig out to connect to my av amp.

All I need now is to get it running properly on the plasma as per my other thread! (he says typing this on the plasma via vga)
Old 18 December 2008, 08:46 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

You don't really need a big processor for a media centre, or graphics card for that matter. Also look at passive cooling options for the CPU, you don't really need a fan on it & there's some good heatsink only options. Passive cooled PSUs are also an option but a bit pricey. Also line the case with Akasa Paxmate insulation, it deadens the sound.
Old 18 December 2008, 11:44 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

I'm hearing a lot of good reports regarding the (pre?) Beta of Windows 7 - rock solid by all accounts, might save you a bit of cash in the short term.
Old 18 December 2008, 12:42 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
I'm hearing a lot of good reports regarding the (pre?) Beta of Windows 7 - rock solid by all accounts, might save you a bit of cash in the short term.
its already built and running vista (just need to put my laptop back to media centre 2005 )

Got the vista tv pack as well so it picks up my dvb s card, got it tuned in and have the 3 hd channels (not seen itv yet though as it never seems to broadcast ) Luxe HD although it has rubbish on it, the picture is brilliant, better than bbc hd