Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Setting up e-mails in my new domain - tips pls!

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2008, 06:00 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting up e-mails in my new domain - tips pls!

Anyone have tips/links to how to get my x@xxxxxx.com hosting domain e-mail thing working please? Been trying for ages now. At least the website works though!

What I want is it to forward mails from info@mywebsite.com to my gmail. I have set up the alias and the forward (I think), but nothing seems to forward.

I want to use gmail as that is mobile for me and less complex in setting up an e-mail client on 3 PC's using Outlook.

Is there a good dummies guide out there?

Cheers

D
Old 14 December 2008, 10:15 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

How have you configured the current alias/forward for the email? Is it via a cPanel interface for your web host?

What you could do is setup Gmail to read messages from your domain account, so no forwarding would be needed, you'd just need the alias(es) to be setup.
Old 14 December 2008, 10:57 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
How have you configured the current alias/forward for the email? Is it via a cPanel interface for your web host?

What you could do is setup Gmail to read messages from your domain account, so no forwarding would be needed, you'd just need the alias(es) to be setup.
I think I have set up an address called info@mydomain.com and that this is meant to forward to my gmail. This may be an alias of my admin account as it suggested it has to be linked to something??? I used the hosting control panel to do this.

Are you thinking it would be easier to use gmail to pull the mails via POP?

Sorry to be so dumb but the hosting interface is in Martian and I've such a loose grasp of how it all works. Cooked amazing Yorkshire puddings earlier though so not useless at everything LOL

D
Old 15 December 2008, 01:53 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Go to Sign up for Google Apps and register your personal domain with Gmail
Old 15 December 2008, 08:22 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Go to Sign up for Google Apps and register your personal domain with Gmail
Sounds brilliant mate, but again I stall:

Verify your domain ownership

We offer two methods of verification. You can either upload an HTML file with a name we specify, or you can change the CNAME record for your domain using the values we specify. Choose your preferred method below.
Choose verification method... Upload an HTML file Change your CNAME record
  1. Create a HTML verification file named googlehostedservice.html , copy the text specified below into it, and upload it to http://xxxxxxxxxductions.com/ . google4xxxxxxxx
  2. Once you have made the changes, make sure you can see the file at http xxxx.com/googlehostedservice.html.
I have no idea what this means - I need to put create a web page on my site and put this number from Google on it?

God its hard!!!! Must find time on the weekend to trawl their help - but thanks a lot for the link.

D
Old 15 December 2008, 09:45 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

You're right, all you need to do is create the file, notepad works just fine, then upload it to your web site. Changing the cname is pretty simple too via your domain registrar.