Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iTunes Server

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2008, 12:44 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iTunes Server

I just bought a Network Attached Storage toy that doubles as an iTuners server (amongst other things). iTunes automatically picks up the server, but I can't copy any of the songs to an iPod (Phone), just stream the music. As iTunes is a terrible piece of software (on the PC) for streaming music, I just want to use it to copy things to my iPhone.

Is that the way it is supposed to work?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 09 December 2008, 09:59 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Change the location of the iTunes library - on the machine you use to Sync your iPhone - to point at the Storage Toy. iTunes | Preferences | Advanced on a Mac, probably similar on PC.
Old 09 December 2008, 01:54 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Change the location of the iTunes library - on the machine you use to Sync your iPhone - to point at the Storage Toy. iTunes | Preferences | Advanced on a Mac, probably similar on PC.
Thanks, that is what I will do. I just wondered the point of an iTunes server if all it does is stream music.

Steve
Old 10 December 2008, 01:29 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

My guess is that the inability to copy the music from the Server to the iPod, or even your local Music Library is possibly due to Apple trying to prevent piracy, much in the same way you cannot copy music from your iPod to your local Music Library.

Having had a very quick google, I'm guessing the NAS is showing up under the "Shared" section in iTunes, in which case, it's normal that you can only stream from them, as that's how shared libraries/playlists work.

I'm going to guess you copied your Music to the NAS, in which case, Jack is spot on, tell iTunes that the Library is now on the NAS, and it'll use that as the source for the music, at which point the "Music" item under the Library option in iTunes will be the one stored on your NAS, and you should be able to copy items from that list onto your devices without issue.