Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

FIFA09 - PS3 vs XBOX360 versions ?

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2008, 01:03 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FIFA09 - PS3 vs XBOX360 versions ?

Normally I've avoided FIFA and stuck with Pro Evo over the years, but more and more friends are telling me FIFA has really got it's act together now.

I installed the demo on both my Xbox360 and PS3 and noticed the Xbox version seems 'smoother' than the glitchy PS3 version. Has anyone else noted this ?

When I mean glitchy I mean the odd frame being dropped, eg. jerky scrolling occasionally, etc... The PS3 version runs in 1080p on my system so that may explain it, as its shifting a lot more data around the screen.

Incidentally I installed Forza II and PGR4 demo's and they both look like 'toys' compared to GT4 Prologue, which I bought recently. Tail-sliding the new Nissan GT-R around Daytona is a joy!

Last edited by spectrum48k; 28 November 2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 28 November 2008, 01:30 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

The graphics in Forza may not be as good as GT4, but the handling, AI, physics, damage model, online racing etc is all superior. GT4 is ok for a quick arcade blast, but it is severely lacking in other areas. PGR4 was ok, but not great imo.

I did the same with Fifa, and agree. The 360 version of the demo was definitely better. This was only a demo though (the final games may well be improved)...
Old 28 November 2008, 01:47 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
The graphics in Forza may not be as good as GT4, but the handling, AI, physics, damage model, online racing etc is all superior. GT4 is ok for a quick arcade blast, but it is severely lacking in other areas. PGR4 was ok, but not great imo.

I did the same with Fifa, and agree. The 360 version of the demo was definitely better. This was only a demo though (the final games may well be improved)...
Re Forza2, haven't tried online mode, but the whole experience left me cold. Seemed to lack any soul, compared to GT4P and as you say, the visuals are far superior. I also felt the handling was superior, even with the vastly reduced handling tweaks available on GT4P, which after all, is more of a showcase, than a full game.

As for FIFA09, I have 2 controllers for PS3, but only one for Xbox360, so it's a dilemma as to which version to buy! Can you remember if you played in 1080p mode when you tried on PS3 ?
Old 28 November 2008, 01:48 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I've always played PES, everytime I've tried to get on with FIFA it just feels so different to play I've got frustraited and gone back to PES.
When's GT5 out?
Old 28 November 2008, 02:00 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
I've always played PES, everytime I've tried to get on with FIFA it just feels so different to play I've got frustraited and gone back to PES.
When's GT5 out?
Played FIFA09 for first time, and it even lets you use PES buttons config. Felt at home straight away. The icing on the cake was the official strips, teams, players, and stadiums. Not to mention Andy Gray commentary! Much slicker, whilst PES seems to have been stagnating for years now.
Old 28 November 2008, 02:36 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
When's GT5 out?
Current rumour is 2010 sometime...maybe...
Old 28 November 2008, 02:38 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spectrum48k
Re Forza2, haven't tried online mode, but the whole experience left me cold. Seemed to lack any soul, compared to GT4P
Conversely, I felt that GT lacked any soul (I got bored with it very quickly)

I much prefer the handling of the Forza cars, but some prefer the more arcadey feeling of the GT model. Each to their own
Old 29 November 2008, 10:22 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Ive played FIFA '09 on mates 360 and very good. First played it on mates PS3 and noticed the occasional jerkiness you mention but Ive since bought a PS3 and havent noticed it yet other than when I once played some spanish chap online but I put that down to my wireless connection to the net.

As for GT5 I didnt like it to start with but am getting used to it. Preferred GRID for outright pace, realistic damage etc but GT5 not as bad as I first thought. Although only just started the B class events

Simon
Old 29 November 2008, 01:19 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************

Spectrum there is no point ever getting into a discussion over GT games with Iain as it's the same every time. He doesn't like GT games full stop and he just can't seem to understand that just because he think its 'arcadey' it doesn't actually means it is to everyone else Iain this will surprise you but lots of people do like it and don't find it arcadey! Outrun\SEGA Rally are arcadey and are not the same thing as GT5P or any of the GT games.

I've got both Forza and GT5P and think they are both great driving games.

As for PES, I downloaded both PES and FIFA demos on the 360 and PS3 and plumped for PES on the PS3 as it was the best out of the 4 examples for me. The PS3 demo of PES was sharper graphically than the 360's PES.
Re Iain, we just have to realise anything we play is vastly inferior and 'arcadey' in comparison to his choice

Re PES, after your comments I'll try the PS3 demo and see how it goes. Like I said, the icing on the cake with FIFA was the official licence. I'd forgotten how nice it was to have my team's proper strips, names, stadium (St James' Park) and even the odd chant I recognised!

Last edited by spectrum48k; 29 November 2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 29 November 2008, 07:44 PM
l1verp00l
Scooby Regular

played on both 360 is better
Old 30 November 2008, 11:28 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Must same Im really getting into GT5 now. Especially as burning around in the Nissan GTR now - looks scweeeeeet in black

Simon
Old 30 November 2008, 01:48 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by l1verp00l
played on both 360 is better
FIFA09 or PES2009 ?
Old 30 November 2008, 01:57 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************

That's the one remaining issue for me with PES, the names, but I stuck with PES after being about to give up on them as it was so much improved over the last two versions.
PES2009
Went and tried the PES2009 demo like you said and I really enjoyed it. Graphics seem crisper than FIFA09 but not as colourful. Everything clicked into place again regards control. Players aren't as well modelled on PES, nor do they move as fluidly or have as many moves/animations and goal celebrations!

FIFA09
I changed my PS3 display settings, so the demo played in 720p instead of 1080p and it improved the framerate issues, so that's no longer a big deal. It's still not as fluent as the Xbox360 version though.

CONCLUSION
I need to spend more time actually playing footy with FIFA09 before I make my mind up. The catch 22 being, I can't do that unless I buy the full game! So, because I felt so "at home' straight away with PES2009 I think I'll buy that, especially as I haven't had a PES game for over 2 years. I'll possibly get FIFA09 at a later date from the used games bin along with a wired Xbox360 controller (anyone selling a controller ?)

Last edited by spectrum48k; 30 November 2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 30 November 2008, 02:02 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
Must same Im really getting into GT5 now. Especially as burning around in the Nissan GTR now - looks scweeeeeet in black

Simon
What really hit home how good GT5P is, was when I drove around the Daytona banked curves at high speed and put the GTR into a massive power slide - held for the remainder of the bend! Exhilarating! Then there's the full Suzuka circuit which is great fun on the Super Licence trying to get your car's points total balanced. Shortly after that, the realisation sunk in how crap I was , when I went online and compared my lap times with others.

Last edited by spectrum48k; 01 December 2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old 30 November 2008, 04:04 PM
seven x
Scooby Regular

Always prefered PES but bought the latest version and it is a really poor game. Luckly HMV gave me a refund and I bought FIFA 09 and I really like it - never previously liked the fifa games but this years is really good.
Old 01 December 2008, 07:26 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spectrum48k
What really hit home how good GT5P is, was when I drove around the Daytona banked curves at high speed and put the GTR into a massive power slide - held of the remainder of the bend! Exhilarating! Then there's the full Suzuka circuit which is great fun on the Super Licence trying to get your car's points total balanced. Shortly after that, the realisation sunk in how crap I was , when I went online and compared my lap times with others.
Aye the powersliding control is pretty darn good in that care. What is the Super Licence - is that the A licence or is there more afterwards?

So far I have gold in Everything on C & B other than the overtake all cars in 1 lap (even on C that is nigh on impossible unless you get the perfect lap). Same for B as just managed to get 3rd. The rest are relatively straight forward for gold. Especially if you can use the GTR

I want that Ferrai F1 car tho

Simon
Old 01 December 2008, 11:55 AM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
Aye the powersliding control is pretty darn good in that care. What is the Super Licence - is that the A licence or is there more afterwards?

So far I have gold in Everything on C & B other than the overtake all cars in 1 lap (even on C that is nigh on impossible unless you get the perfect lap). Same for B as just managed to get 3rd. The rest are relatively straight forward for gold. Especially if you can use the GTR

I want that Ferrai F1 car tho

Simon
SUPER licence appears once you've done C, B & A