Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Spore for Mac - Using "Mods"

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2008, 04:01 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spore for Mac - Using "Mods"

Hello All,
As I'm sure some of you are aware, it is possible to run "Mods" on/with the game Spore. Yes, I know, it is cheating, but we'll ignore that for the moment.

There are quite a few places which list mods and allow you to download them, plus they give instructions on where to place them to get them to run, however, the majority of these are for the PC version, which isn't too handy for us Mac types.

I've had a poke around and found where you need to place the mod files when using a Mac.

Based on a default install of Spore, the path is:

/Applications/SPORE/Spore.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Spore/Data/

I've tried a couple of the mods, and they do indeed work, which makes sense as Spore on the Mac is using Cider, which I'm guessing is somewhat similar to WINE, in that it emulates windows on the Mac, without the need for the Windows OS to be installed.

I thought this information might be handy to those who are playing Spore on a Mac and want to try out some of the mods, or possibly create their own (alas the mod editing tools seem to be PC only for the moment)