Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Two PCs from a single broadband source?

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2008, 11:18 PM
Ringpeas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Two PCs from a single broadband source?

Sorry for the fact that I am still living in the early 90's technology wise, so maybe you could answer this?

I currently have a Virgin 2mb connection through a cable modem.

I would like to set up a 2nd PC in the next room for my daughter. As she is only 6 and spends most time on dress up games I do not want to fork out for a second monthly subscription if I can help it.

I have heard of this new wireless internet connection <feels very old> and was wondering if this could be used to run the 2 PCs from a single source? If so how would this be set up?
Could you give a suggestion of a good one at a fair price.

Cheers
Old 11 November 2008, 11:51 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No need for a second subscription.

I'm not that technically gifted about much, but, we have a Netgear wireless router which was relatively easy to set up with help from a gifted friend.

Currently supplies connection for 2 PC's and a laptop.

You may have to install the broadband software that you have on to the other PC.

Where's the clever people when you need them?
Old 11 November 2008, 11:55 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

As above really, you will need 1 wireless router and two network adaptors.

Unless either or both of your PC's have wireless built in. Netgear stuff is pretty straight forward to setup. Cost would be about £100ish for everything you need.

£40-£50 for a router if your PC's are wireless ready.
Old 11 November 2008, 11:59 PM
Ringpeas
Scooby Regular

Thanks
Old 12 November 2008, 07:43 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

If your PC's arent wireless you could look into Powerline ethernet adapters (in a nutshell they allow you to use your houses mains power cabling to transfer data) which would allow you to connect a router to your broadband connection and then stick 1 adapter (they come in pairs) next to your router and the other in a power socket next to the 2nd pc.

You can pick a pair of 85mb adapters up from about £40 on Amazon. If your not that technical then you might need the help of a friend for this option as not always straightforward.

Simon
Old 12 November 2008, 08:42 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

If you're setting a PC up for your kids, I can highly recommend a special kids web browser called Kid Rocket which only lets them go on sites that have been approved by teachers & other parents. Download it from here :

Web Browser for Kids - KidRocket - PC Desktop Protection

Saves all that faffing about with filtering software and the like.
Old 12 November 2008, 09:08 PM
sparkykev
Scooby Regular

Location: Ex WRX now a Harley Iron. Warwickshire. Oh what fun...

You'd only need your daughters pc to be wireless, your original pc can stay connected with a network cable. So you only need a wireless router circa. £30 and a wifi enabled pc, or wifi adaptor (poss usb dongle)for you daughter.
Old 12 November 2008, 10:29 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Just to add, you will need a cable router not an ADSL router.

This will do you..

Linksys WRT54GSUK Wireless 125Mbps Router - Buy cheap Linksys DSL wireless routers at PC World
Old 12 November 2008, 10:35 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy it from Virginmedia .. you can call them for free support then.
Old 14 November 2008, 12:31 PM
Ringpeas
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys

I am a bit confused now

I would like to keep the main PC connected directly to the cable modem if I could, although this is not a major issue.

So how does the wireless router work in this case, and how do I allow the second PC to connect (it is about 6 years old so not the latest kit)

I am just going to Google a dongle
Old 14 November 2008, 12:50 PM
Ringpeas
Scooby Regular

If I set up a wireless system can both PCs use the same printer?
Old 14 November 2008, 01:54 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ringpeas
Thanks guys

I am a bit confused now

I would like to keep the main PC connected directly to the cable modem if I could, although this is not a major issue.
In effect you do, you take the Ethernet connection on the cable modem and plug it into the router, then you plug your main PC into the router. That's that, everything working a before just that now you have this funny box between your cable modem and main PC

Originally Posted by Ringpeas
So how does the wireless router work in this case, and how do I allow the second PC to connect (it is about 6 years old so not the latest kit)
So here's the clever bit. What the router does is allows the singular broadband connection to be shared between multiple PCs. It does this by taking on your Internet "address" from the cable modem. It then gives your PC and any others that attach to it there own address on the new local network. It analyses the data traffic flowing around and is able to work out if it is destined for the Internet, if it is it forwards it on to the cable modem.

The really clever bit is that the router is able to analyse traffic coming back from the Internet via the cable modem and work out which PC on your local network it belongs to. It then forwards it on to that PC only.

To attach the second PC for your daughter you have a choice of a wireless or wired connection. Wired is better but you do have the faff of running the cables around, hence most go for wireless for the convenience. As someone mentioned you can now also you the power cabling in your house, with the assistance of some clever adapters, to extend a wired connection. For wireless the router needs to have wireless capabilities (you can get simple ones that just do wired) and you will need a wireless adapter for the second PC. The easiest type to configure just plug into a spare USB socket on the PC. After that everything is the same, wired or wireless both PCs will be attached to the router and able to share the broadband connection.

I am just going to Google a dongle
Just another name for a wireless adapter that plugs into USB.
Old 14 November 2008, 04:26 PM
Ringpeas
Scooby Regular

Thanks for taking the time to put that detailed reply together.

I will give a go.
Old 14 November 2008, 11:38 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

If you want to share your printer though, your PC will have to be switched on as the little un's machine will send the data via your machine to the printer.
Alternatively you could buy a router that has a print server built in, I got one for my mum.
Old 15 November 2008, 08:04 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Here's how I would do it -

VERY simple to do - you can also take note of the comments about printers etc when purchasing the router.
The technical bit is that as these routers are generic, it will probably not have your settings for your broadband. However, a quick visit to the ISP's website can cure that, as most now have all the settings you need.

It is relatively simple, and as it's a PC, there's a chance it can get a bit more complex (NOT complicated though!)

You'll also find that in various places like PC World, there will be router packs that include the usb dongle Even the ethernet cable is provided.

Hope this helps

Dan
Old 15 November 2008, 08:07 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Forgot to add, but these routers also tend to operate in a mode called DHCP (you can get to this in your network settings) - most PCs are set up in this way anyway.

The reason why I'm mentioning it is because in this mode, each bit of IT kit is automatically allocated an ID or address. So.......

more than 2 items can access the internet at the same time

Xbox 360 (cable or wifi), Wii, PS3, Mobile phones with wifi, Laptops etc etc

Dan
Old 15 November 2008, 12:02 PM
Ringpeas
Scooby Regular

Thanks again guys