Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Far Cry 2 - my quick review...

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2008, 11:15 AM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Far Cry 2 - my quick review...

Been playing this for some hours now and really getting into it - its a bit of a cross between Oblivion, GTA and any FPS you care to name - cracking game so far and a change from the usual linear shooters.

The particle and physics work really well in Far Cry 2- massive explosions causes the trees to sway, jeeps fly burning through the air, soldiers are flung around like dolls an barrels fly 100 foot in the air. Setting fire to buildings usually catches the African grass too which causes bush fires which quickly spread. Not seen anything graphically that comes close as yet.

Just purchased the rocket launcher and completed the mission to flag the drugs haul in the oasis. Much fun to be had with the sniper rifles in the game. Also laying mines and awaiting with the finger on the button enemy trucks to pass over them....

Enemy AI not bad but seen better, and some elements a bit repetitive (i.e. bad guys in jeeps) but all in all a must play if you're into this sort of game, not used my PS3 so much in months.

8.5/10

Anyone else playing?

Neil
Old 05 November 2008, 11:34 AM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

stick with it, i wasnt totally convinced until i started a few missions and got some decent weapons.

Not had any control issues on the PS3 - maybe its a pc thing?
Old 05 November 2008, 11:56 AM
Stefanie

got it on xbox. I think it's good so far, mission style is much like mercenaries. Far Cry has always been about the visuals of the open landscape which this does well.
Old 05 November 2008, 02:30 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

There are a few real "Wow!" moments. Driving into your first sunset / sunrise being one of them.

The little side-lines are funky... using the map and omnoculars to spy out bases / diamond cases is a good touch.

The first time you get a jeep with the mortar launcher is just great Stuff the subtle approach at that point.

The physics of the game is something you can use to your advantage: check the wind direction and lob a few molotovs. If you can sort out an ammo dump hit, anyone nearby is toast

There are lots of good things in the game, but the infinite spawning guard posts are a royal pain in the butt.

There are advantages to just exploring the maps you get... I've found some really cool hidden gems hidden away off the beaten track... and doing the side / buddy missions gives great dividends with improvements in equipment and money.
Old 05 November 2008, 08:57 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great game, been enjoying it to. One thing that's annoying is if u get into a big battle n lose your jeep/gun combo it can be a real pita getting back to a location/safe house without another vehicle on foot
Old 06 November 2008, 12:11 PM
Stefanie

one little feature i think is great and improves gameplay no end is you can get into a jeep from any side and slide over if on the wrong side. There is nothing more irritating than in the heat of gunfire running to a jeep only to have run round as its left hand drive.