Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Buying a Mac... Whereto?

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2008, 11:02 PM
Gilesdwrc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Mac... Whereto?

After 5 years Our compaq laptop is getting tired, we've looked around and decided to go Mac, but where to?

We've got an apple store in Exeter, and a premium re-seller in Plymouth as well as puckworld, all selling at RRP of £799. We'll be financing about half of the cost, over six months. The re-seller has a six month 0% buy now pay later. I've just recived an offer for an 8 month 0% on purchases credit card. Anyone know of a cheaper retailer? We'll also be buying MS office for Mac, are there Bundle deals?

p.s.

connecting our ipod, usb or firewire? What's the difference? btw the iPod + Altec Lansing speakers are on the far side of the room is there a wireless option?
Old 03 November 2008, 12:25 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I doubt you'll find a cheaper retailer as there generally isn't a big discount on Apple's product line.

Have a look for the user AllanB on here as I'm sure he works for MacWarehouse, and may be able to help out pricing wise, it's certainly worth a shot.

As for connections for an iPod, the newer models will only use USB, whereas the older ones can use Firewire and/or USB. My 4th Gen iPod will sync over Firewire and/or USB but my fiancé's 2nd Gen Nano will only sync over USB.

As for the speaker situation, what are you wanting to do?
Are you wanting to play music from the iPod (when connected to the computer) and/or the Computer and stream it to the speakers? If so then the speakers would need to have an aux in port. What you could then do is get an Airport Express and an appropriate connection cable (either 3.5 mm male to 3.5mm male, or 3.5mm male to twin RCA connectors) and then plug that into the Airport Express and the Speakers, this would then let you use AirTunes, which would allow you to stream the music being played on your computer to the speakers. If you move the airport express and it's associated connections and of course the speakers, you can stream the music to them.
Old 03 November 2008, 12:36 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Always a good option is price-matching at John Lewis as they give 2 years warranty. Alternatively try to get Applecare thrown in (unlikely).
Old 03 November 2008, 09:33 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Dixons Tax Free if you are going anywhere, is the cheapest place in the UK to get a Mac laptop that i know of. I saved 300 quid on my macbook pro last year. Just did a booze cruise to france for the day and got it from the channel tunnel terminal in Kent, but even if flying to scotland or any internal flight to, you can get these prices.

The other option is to look through the refurb store on Apple.com/uk they sometimes have good deals on there, but not necessarily the latest shiny models, but may ionly be a few months old.
Old 03 November 2008, 11:26 AM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ian Cook
Dixons Tax Free if you are going anywhere, is the cheapest place in the UK to get a Mac laptop that i know of. I saved 300 quid on my macbook pro last year. Just did a booze cruise to france for the day and got it from the channel tunnel terminal in Kent, but even if flying to scotland or any internal flight to, you can get these prices.

The other option is to look through the refurb store on Apple.com/uk they sometimes have good deals on there, but not necessarily the latest shiny models, but may ionly be a few months old.
Arent you mean to declare this stuff when you come back "in" to the country?
Old 03 November 2008, 11:34 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up for Airport Express

Use it for Wifey's itunes music

I've got a reseller by me who'll do some good deals (well, I've bought enough off them in the last few years!! lol!! ) - Gloucester

Best of luck

Dan
Old 03 November 2008, 12:21 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by judgejules
Arent you mean to declare this stuff when you come back "in" to the country?
Nope, because it isnt duty free anymore. UK VAT has been paid and as its UK stock there is no import duty to pay either.
Old 03 November 2008, 08:30 PM
Gilesdwrc
Scooby Regular

I'm thinking about keeping the ipod synced continuously with the minimum of fuss/leads. not just playing the music, I can do that from the ipod or the computer.
Old 03 November 2008, 09:01 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Hiya I can certainly help with the pricing but we don't offer interest free credit anymore.

I work for MacWarehouse as the sales manager and will always go out of my way to help fellow Scoobynetters.

Drop me an email at allan.bayman@macwarehouse.co.uk

AllanB