Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

IE7/8 with Vista

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2008, 08:24 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default IE7/8 with Vista

Just set-up my new laptop and I've got a slight glitch with IE7 and 8 beta. I've changed the settings so when I click a link in an email etc it should open the content in a new tab. Problem is it always opens up the content in a new window unless I right click and select 'open in new tab'. The problem is the same in both IE7 and IE8 beta. Is this a known problem with vista (Home premium SP1) or am I just going to be frustrated.

As an aside, is firefox a better browser, and if I download it can I easily migrate all my favourites across.
Old 17 October 2008, 01:11 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonMc

As an aside, is firefox a better browser, and if I download it can I easily migrate all my favourites across.
Much better and yes it is very easy.
Old 17 October 2008, 02:05 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
Personally, I find it slower than IE7, and more bug ridden. They really dropped the ball with the latest version imo...
Old 19 October 2008, 12:57 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Slower than IE7? naw, much faster.
Old 19 October 2008, 01:33 AM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Personally, I find it slower than IE7, and more bug ridden. They really dropped the ball with the latest version imo...
You keep using your Integer Corrupt, Heap Overflow Browser which is part of the stem of the Operating System you use

Old 19 October 2008, 06:31 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
Before you are calling me stupid, be aware that I have looked at the source code for both, and FF isn't as nice internally as you think it might be, and a number of large security holes have been found (and fixed) in it recently

Putting my users hat on for a moment, I've found IE7 to be far more stable than FF3, works with a lot more web sites, and is generally quicker at displaying web pages (especially ones containing large amounts of javascript / dhtml code). If you want to use FF then that's fine, but calling me stupid because I prefer the speed and compatibility of the other frankly just demonstrates your lack of intelligence in the matter...

Iain (having a bad day wishing he didn't have to work at weekends fixing software problems caused by other developers - grrrrrr)...
Old 19 October 2008, 08:19 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Hang on, you say you have managed to look at the source code of IE7?

By the way I have a MSc in Computer Science and currently work for the MOD as a Programmer/Security Systems Testing Consultant.

Oh and by the way I am part timing my MPhil at Birkbeck.
Old 19 October 2008, 08:31 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Before you are calling me stupid, be aware that I have looked at the source code for both
Old 19 October 2008, 11:37 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
Hang on, you say you have managed to look at the source code of IE7?

By the way I have a MSc in Computer Science and currently work for the MOD as a Programmer/Security Systems Testing Consultant.

Oh and by the way I am part timing my MPhil at Birkbeck.
That's nice.

I'm a senior systems developer for a market leading global software development company with very close links to MS, IBM, etc and over 15,000 customers which include a big chunk of the worldwide fortune 100 companies. Working mostly on Windows/Unix (sco, aix and linux) PCs and mainframe computers. Been writing software for them for them for nearly 15 years now in a mixture of C, C++, Java, Cobol, Assembler, C#, (and loads of others).

I have seen the source code to IE (and a lot of other things I'm not allowed to talk about because of NDAs). Source code for FF is easily available (it's open source).

But as you say above. I must be stupid and don't know what I'm talking about

On my Vista PC. FF3 uses more resources than IE7, it takes around 5 seconds longer to load, each page takes around 1-2 seconds longer to display, it does not work correctly with a number of websites that I frequent, and it crashes a lot.

It may work better for others, but it has been the same on every machine I've tried it on (Vista or XP). FF2 was quite a nice browser, (although it did have problems with some websites), but they've really mucked it up with FF3 imo. Having seen the code, I think the security is (ironically) better in IE7 as well. It is subject to more attacks / hacks however because of the larger install base.

Best thing is to try it and see which you like...

Last edited by Iain Young; 19 October 2008 at 11:43 PM.