Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Limewire: Anyone else having problems connecting?

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2008, 06:47 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Limewire: Anyone else having problems connecting?

No idea what's wrong, but these last few days limewire won't work for me. Usually connects to the network in seconds, and after that I have a great connection, but at the moment it just says it's connecting constantly, and slows down internet explorer in the process!

Anyone else having this problem? Or could it be something to do with my computer?

I should mention, my internet connection is perfect, and my web browser runs spot on until I open limewire.
Old 06 September 2008, 08:24 PM
Scoobyols69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i will sort you out with limewire pro for £5 you get turbo charged connection message me if you intrested !!
Old 06 September 2008, 08:48 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Once Limewire connects do a program search for 'Limewire' and you can usually find a version of Pro, or the related activation codes for free
Old 07 September 2008, 11:29 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Common problem I have limewire pro and gave up as I could not make it connect anymore. Loads of fixes for this problem online but none seemed to work for me.
Old 07 September 2008, 12:41 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
Common problem I have limewire pro and gave up as I could not make it connect anymore. Loads of fixes for this problem online but none seemed to work for me.
Yes, very annoying. I don't think trying limewire pro would make any difference for me, because as you say, it just won't connect at all.
Old 07 September 2008, 12:50 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Hmmm...for £5 I will help you obtain programs and music for free

If he was willing to pay in the first place, he would not be asking the question
Old 07 September 2008, 02:49 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby_69er
i will sort you out with limewire pro for £5 you get turbo charged connection message me if you intrested !!

PM me and I send it to you for free..
Old 07 September 2008, 03:50 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000

PM me and I send it to you for free..
Thanks

Although I'm sure I will still have the same problem after installing pro.

Maybe worth a try though...what do you think?

Alan
Old 07 September 2008, 07:59 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TerzoAlan
Thanks

Although I'm sure I will still have the same problem after installing pro.

Maybe worth a try though...what do you think?

Alan

The version I have is connecting ok .. although I dont like using it ..

Maybe you firewall issues ?? installed anything recently ?? new router??
Old 07 September 2008, 08:33 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

The version I have is connecting ok .. although I dont like using it ..

Maybe you firewall issues ?? installed anything recently ?? new router??
That's it magically working again now. I have not changed any settings whatsoever on anything! Very strange, but thinking about it, i'm sure the same happened a year or two ago.
Old 07 September 2008, 08:37 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Aren't the ISP's now putting some sort of blocking on P2P networking (I know very little of how the interweb works so I may have just asked a stupid question )
Old 07 September 2008, 08:49 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Not a stupid question at all, all ISP's monitor your internet usage and will if asked hand over your details to the authorities. Using programs such as Limewire put you at great risk, you're advertising what you've downloaded and what you're downloading and uploading. I'd say that in a very large majority of successful court cases the guilty party was using Limewire.
Old 07 September 2008, 08:51 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Aren't the ISP's now putting some sort of blocking on P2P networking (I know very little of how the interweb works so I may have just asked a stupid question )
Much the same as me then. I can do anything I need to on a computer, but when it comes to the technical stuff I'm lost! You might be right about that actually...I'll be expecting a warning letter in the post.

Not a discussion for this thread, but that is one thing that really annoys me: freedom of information and all that(don't see any problem with P2P programs) I think in the years to come we are going to see alot more 'freedoms' that we have now coming to an end. This is just the way Britain is becoming now - It sounds a rediculous exaggeration, but new labour ideals aren't a million miles away from communism.

F*cking hate it

I may start a rant thread now actually . lol!

Alan
Old 07 September 2008, 09:07 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The problem with communism is that it's usually enforced by fascists. True communism is a brilliant philosophy, but AFAIK there is only one area in the world where it has, and still is practiced truly and successfully and I believe it is in northern Italy.
Old 07 September 2008, 11:07 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by JackClark
Not a stupid question at all, all ISP's monitor your internet usage and will if asked hand over your details to the authorities. Using programs such as Limewire put you at great risk, you're advertising what you've downloaded and what you're downloading and uploading. I'd say that in a very large majority of successful court cases the guilty party was using Limewire.
Cheers, you have just answered what I was going to ask

I use itunes and it bugs the hell out of me that I can't download their songs to my phone. I've paid for them
Old 08 September 2008, 12:41 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

The problem with communism is that it's usually enforced by fascists. True communism is a brilliant philosophy, but AFAIK there is only one area in the world where it has, and still is practiced truly and successfully and I believe it is in northern Italy.
CUBA ?
Old 08 September 2008, 12:54 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

No, so-called communism in Cuba is forced upon its people. The whole point is that everyone lives and works as a collective, sharing the load and the rewards. Castro forced his interpretation of Marxism on his people and is strictly speaking therefore a fascist.
Old 08 September 2008, 10:46 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Define Monitoring
Old 08 September 2008, 11:27 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Define Monitoring
Monitoring: the act of observing something (and sometimes keeping a record of it)

Do Virgin Media monitor internet traffic?
Old 08 September 2008, 11:36 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Monitoring: the act of observing something (and sometimes keeping a record of it)

Do Virgin Media monitor internet traffic?

ISP do not monitor traffic in the respect that they know what your downloading or uploading, they only monitor amounts.

Hence why it takes government bodies to approach ISPs when you have been downloading music.
Old 08 September 2008, 02:52 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

No, so-called communism in Cuba is forced upon its people. The whole point is that everyone lives and works as a collective, sharing the load and the rewards. Castro forced his interpretation of Marxism on his people and is strictly speaking therefore a fascist.
In what way did he force his commumism on the people ? While he liberated the population from Batista he was VOTED in as the next leader and would still win any election today. Castro was not in a position to allow free elections since as it would have enabled USA to destabilse the country and put a military dictator in place as they did in Chile, Indonesia, Brasil, Panama, Argentina, The Congo Bolivia the philipines, Guatemala, Venezuala etc etc etc
Old 08 September 2008, 08:28 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

ISP do not monitor traffic in the respect that they know what your downloading or uploading, they only monitor amounts.

Hence why it takes government bodies to approach ISPs when you have been downloading music.
So what you're saying is that ISP's don't monitor what you're downloading unless the government want to know, in which case they turn on the time machine!
Old 09 September 2008, 09:40 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

So what you're saying is that ISP's don't monitor what you're downloading unless the government want to know, in which case they turn on the time machine!

Most people got caught by the big media companies putting up their own trackers on BitTorrent sites for the latest CD/Film/etc. The tracker enables them to get the IP addresses of those up/downloading the file. Then they approach the ISPs for information as to who was allocated that IP address at the time of the activity. ISPs do keep records of IP addresses allocated.

Monitoring the actual traffic would take a huge amount of resources and could bring the Internet to it's knees. They can traffic shape by looking for activity on known ports and also cracking open the TCP/IP headers to get a better idea of the traffic contained in the packets. Use encryption though (e.g. to a news server) and they'll never know what you're up to
Old 09 September 2008, 10:58 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

What ?? No, the ISP is presented with a court order to provide your details !! thats it !

Unless your under some kind of investigation, I.E terrorists .. but even then, ISP do not have the required tools or skills to monitor users.. all they see if information.
Old 09 September 2008, 12:01 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
Most people got caught by the big media companies putting up their own trackers on BitTorrent sites for the latest CD/Film/etc. The tracker enables them to get the IP addresses of those up/downloading the file. Then they approach the ISPs for information as to who was allocated that IP address at the time of the activity. ISPs do keep records of IP addresses allocated.
Indeed, check out baytsp, the website is down but the wiki is still up

BayTSP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09 September 2008, 02:19 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Peer Guardian (free download) can stop people like BayTSP sniffing around, so I've heard ...
Old 09 September 2008, 03:27 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Aye, IIRC it had problems with Vista at first not sure if these have been sorted
Old 09 September 2008, 06:38 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by 84of300
Cheers, you have just answered what I was going to ask

I use itunes and it bugs the hell out of me that I can't download their songs to my phone. I've paid for them
I just drag said tune to desktop and transfer it from there, and it works every time!