Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Moving from Windows to Linux

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2008, 10:16 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving from Windows to Linux

I have an old machine of my stepdaughters which is infested with spyware and god knows what so thought I'd have a bash at installing Linux on it and using it as a media centre. I don't know the first thing about Linux, but have had a look around & thought about installing Kubuntu and Linux MCE.
Does the Kubuntu installer provide the option to re-format the hard drive, I'd like to wipe Windows off it altogether ? Also if anyone could point me in the direction of some Kubuntu n00b guides I'd appreciate it. Cheers !
Old 07 August 2008, 11:05 AM
scoobz72
Scooby Regular

Depends which versions you have. If they are "live" versions then it does not format anything. I use Mandriva 2008, which I keep on a USB pen, basically any PC you insert into and reboot, Voila!

The full versions of Kubuntu do have the format option on installation. Or you could install as a multi boot so you keep both OS.
Setup is different to Windows, so pay close attention and make sure you have your drivers backed up before you do. Kubunt should have generic drivers "to get you going", but not always compatible with all hardware.

If you installed as a 2nd OS on multi boot, then your drivers will always be available.

Personally I would install as a multiboot, then from Linux, clean up the windows install with a good spyware cleaner etc.
Failing that put a fresh copy of windows 1st, then Linux.

Drivers should not be a problem, but beware they can be.

Old 07 August 2008, 11:22 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I'll be downloading the full 700mb installer & burning it to a disc straight from Kubuntu | linux for human beings | Kubuntu . Hopefully it'll have an option to flatten the whole drive. I'm not interested in keeping Windows on it at all. If Kubuntu comes shipped with a basic driver set in the installer that should be enough to get me going I think. Are drivers & applications easy to install in Linux ?
Old 07 August 2008, 11:52 AM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

just wipe it and go, you will have very few problems with it. Linux is easier to install than windows these days.
Old 07 August 2008, 11:57 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

During installation it'll offer to repartition the drive. All you need are two partitions - the main one for Linux (format as ext3) and a couple of Gb for swap.

Drivers should all be there already, except maybe wireless networking which (IMHO) is an absolute pain in the ar*e to set up. Applications, on the other hand, are trivial to install using Synaptic once you've got your network connection up and running.

Make sure you have a second PC available with working internet access, and a USB stick to copy things between the two machines - you may need it.
Old 07 August 2008, 12:49 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Yeh I was thinking that, I have my main machine with Win XP to use for copying things across etc. so I'll have that on standby in case i need to grab any drivers or other bits of software.
Not sure about wireless networking as yet, might just be easier to drill a hole in the wall and connect to the router with a bit of cat5 !!
Is the partition for the swap file compulsory then ?
Old 07 August 2008, 01:51 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Think so - unless you're sure you'll always have enough physical RAM. On the plus side, you don't get a huge file generated in your system/data partition like you do in Windows.
Old 07 August 2008, 02:10 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

When it comes to partitioning just let it do it all automatically, don't even worry about seperates or anything.
Old 07 August 2008, 02:54 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Personally, Id use a DOS V6.x start-up disk which was write protected. Use debug to remove the partition/partitions from the fixed disk and then start afresh.

If thats a little scary then use the start-up diskette as above and use the command fdisk. Remove the partition table and then restart the machine, resetting the partition table after the restart. Again, make sure that the diskette is write protected.

Simon
Old 07 August 2008, 02:55 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobz72
Depends which versions you have. If they are "live" versions then it does not format anything. I use Mandriva 2008, which I keep on a USB pen, basically any PC you insert into and reboot, Voila!

The full versions of Kubuntu do have the format option on installation. Or you could install as a multi boot so you keep both OS.
Setup is different to Windows, so pay close attention and make sure you have your drivers backed up before you do. Kubunt should have generic drivers "to get you going", but not always compatible with all hardware.

If you installed as a 2nd OS on multi boot, then your drivers will always be available.

Personally I would install as a multiboot, then from Linux, clean up the windows install with a good spyware cleaner etc.
Failing that put a fresh copy of windows 1st, then Linux.

Drivers should not be a problem, but beware they can be.

where can I get Mandriva "live" version ? I really fancy sticking it on a USB pen or external drive. The geek in me wants to compile some software I've written and see it running on Linux! Whats the space requirements ?
Old 07 August 2008, 04:07 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by GC8
If thats a little scary then use the start-up diskette as above and use the command fdisk
Does the kubuntu installer come with its own version of fdisk or would I be better off blanking the hard drive before I install it ?
Old 07 August 2008, 05:15 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

If it's the same as the Ubuntu installer, then yes, it does. It'll format and repartition the drive as part of the setup process, no need to erase the disk beforehand.
Old 08 August 2008, 09:08 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Great stuff thanks for the replies I'll take the plunge when I've assembled the hardware ..
Old 08 August 2008, 02:00 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

People make it sound complicated for some reason. Stick the disk in and keep clicking next. THAT IS IT!!
Old 08 August 2008, 03:47 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

^^^

That's the kind of comforting reassurance I was looking for !!
Old 08 August 2008, 03:53 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoTTyB
People make it sound complicated for some reason. Stick the disk in and keep clicking next. THAT IS IT!!
I've tried 3 times to create a USB stick with it on, but all I get when the laptop boots is missing operating system

I've used Mandriva and Ubuntu (can't find the live versions) with no joy.
Old 08 August 2008, 04:05 PM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

Another question, Does this work if I install a brand new hard drive? to replace a knackered one? will the usb's/ cd/dvd drive be usable ?

ray t
Old 08 August 2008, 04:45 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by spectrum48k
I've tried 3 times to create a USB stick with it on, but all I get when the laptop boots is missing operating system

I've used Mandriva and Ubuntu (can't find the live versions) with no joy.
USB Ubuntu 8.04 Persistent install from Linux | USB Pen Drive Linux
Old 08 August 2008, 05:07 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

thanks for that - will check it out
Old 08 August 2008, 05:08 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ray T
Another question, Does this work if I install a brand new hard drive? to replace a knackered one? will the usb's/ cd/dvd drive be usable ?

ray t

If you are talking about installing to the new HDD, then yes: most Linux distros (if you have kernel 2-6.22 or later anyway) have far better hardware recognition and installation than Windows these days. A new install is as simple as ScoTTyB says if you aren't trying to dual-boot. It's not hard to make a dual-boot either, it just requires a bit is research.

M
Old 09 August 2008, 03:53 PM
scoobz72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spectrum48k
where can I get Mandriva "live" version ? I really fancy sticking it on a USB pen or external drive. The geek in me wants to compile some software I've written and see it running on Linux! Whats the space requirements ?
Boot and run Linux from a USB flash memory stick | USB Pen Drive Linux I think its the same link as Jack posted but any knowledge is good.

Live versions of Mandriva are not easy to find due to it being installed on USB from new. I have Mandriva 2008 which I got from Linux Monthly, 8GB of Linux OS.
There are tutorials on how to.... etc, yes they are fiddly to get working properly. Alternatively they are on sale on Ebay on USB for 50-60 quid.

At least 4GB is needed unless opting for Lite Linux, which is stripped of most apps.

Last edited by scoobz72; 09 August 2008 at 03:56 PM.