Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

ADSL self- install recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2002, 03:32 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have been waiting for self install to come out since our exchange was ADSL capable towards the end of last year.

Now I read in some places it is out, in others a trial, and on BTopenworld a closed trial.

Force9 seem to be actually offering a package.

I understand about the splitters and the need to buy a suitable modem. It is a single desktop machine.

I also read about BTnet backbone being very slow and to try and avoid this.

Anyone make any recommendations as to what to go for? Should I try and get a package with a modem included? They seem overpriced for separate purchase.

I am currently on a £15/month unmetered with Tiscali after a bad experience with BT internet.
Old 02 February 2002, 03:38 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Wires only serve is simple enough to install, all that you should have to do is change a face plate on a socket in the house, thus istalling the DSL splitter, unless BT are going to use a differnt design splitter for this.

As for the modems i cant comment too much as i dont have DSL, but i do know quite a few people who change the Alcatel speed touch (fish thing) that BT supply for differnt modems with ethernet connection to setup a LAN at home etc. Have a look on some of the auction sites see if you can find any on there.

At the end of the day all DSL traffic has to go via BT's backbone at some point, but in general i think the majority of people are happy with the service.
Old 02 February 2002, 11:04 PM
SD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John, I'm in a similar situation as you and I've spent literraly all day reading up on the forums at http://www.adslguide.org. Sufficed to say it looks like there are two seperate products available. (Someone in the know please correct me if I'm wrong)

'Self install' whereby BT ADSL enable your line and then you plug in a microfilter into any extension in your line. Your ADSL modem/router (choose one yourself or buy it from the ISP) then plugs into these as do any telephones you wish to use.

'Wires only' whereby the you still get the engineer visit to setup the wallsocket, but you don't actually lease the modem at all (unlike the 'tradional' ADSL setup with BTOW etc.) Again, supply your own modem/router.

The 'Self-Install' looks like the option I'll be going for.

HTH,

Simon.