Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

MS Word help!

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2008, 06:20 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool MS Word help!

I am creating a document and I am using the supplied Word Heading formats so that I can build a table of contents.

It all works ok, except for Heading4, which simply will not carry on with the correct numbering.

For example, I have a Header1, then some tes, then a Header2 and some text, then Header3......... then Header4, but the Header4 loses the numbers and reverts to 1, so I have

5. Title

Body

5.1 Title

Body

5.1.2 Title

Body

1.1.1.1 Title

So, it should be 5.1.1.1

I have tried modiying the styles, but I just can't see what it is. If I stick in a header5 that works ok, as does 6, 7 etc.

Any ideas? It's driving me mad!

Geezer
Old 20 May 2008, 07:50 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

It's ok, I fixed it. You can highlight another heading type in your document that works, then select the incorrect style and base it up on that selection. You then just have to modify it to return it to the correct level, et voila!

I was working with an unaltered version of Word, so it may be a genuine bug.

Geezer
Old 20 May 2008, 09:51 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Word is quite simply the most evil software written. It is designed to completely screw up your day by randomly deciding things like formatting, indentation when you least expect it. As soon as you start moving them little tabs about at the top, you're doomed forever like being lost within a labyrinth full of people who keep pointing out that one line in your document is Times New Roman while the rest of it is in Arial and you hate them because you've been trying to finish the bulleted list but one of your bullets won't line up with the rest, it's either in too far or not in enough and when it does line up it's not a bullet but number and in Roman numerals come to that and why the hell has it started at IV anyway? And it won't leave you alone, oh no, it'll invade Outlook by becoming your default mail editor and it will rearrange your nice neat signature so that it looks great when you send it but like **** whenever anyone reads it in their own email client.

And for some reason, they let the same team who wrote Word write Powerpoint. Don't even get me started.
Old 20 May 2008, 11:57 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Ah thankyou, I'm stuck at work doing this document, and that really made me laugh

Geezer
Old 21 May 2008, 02:19 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

spot on rev