Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Bit of A/V advice if you please

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2008, 10:53 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bit of A/V advice if you please

Just moved house and put my new Toshiba 40" picture frame TV on the wall.

Sparked up the sky+ after install and the picture was a bit off so I bought a good quality scart cable and the picture is much better. After retuning to work offshore the Wife now say's she's getting some picture distortion from the sound

I think I know the problem is the amount of cables running close to each other and inside the wall cavity running to the TV. I have a very bad mix of A/V cables and power cables for DVD/Xbox/Sky+/PC/360 all in very close contact.

So do I need to use a pass through Av amp to get round this ?
Old 29 April 2008, 09:39 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

The main distorting signal usually comes from the power supplies - if all the cables are in the wall it might be that its just the tv's power cable causing the aggro (Given my own personal experience of Toshiba I'd be blaming that anyway!)

How many of those sources do you have running at the same time? I doubt you'd have them all going at once so if only one is switched on, the only other cable doing anything is the tv power lead.

Normally all the power leads on the rear of the sources come out from the left (as you look at the front), this is usually so you can bunch them all together if you have them stacked and keep them away from the video / audio cables.

It might just be your cable management needs tidied up - no need spending money if an new amp isnt going to fix it.

unplug everything except power leads, gather them together with cables ties or something then re attach all the other leads keeping them as far as practicable from the power leads.
Old 29 April 2008, 09:42 AM
Ghetto Dude3
Scooby Regular

can you not somehow shield the cables, maybe with that ALU tape that gets used under peoples bonnets and such?
Old 29 April 2008, 09:50 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ghetto Dude3
can you not somehow shield the cables, maybe with that ALU tape that gets used under peoples bonnets and such?
Can you do that? I mean, you can't insulate with metal can you?
Old 29 April 2008, 10:10 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
You can shield with it, same principle as a faraday cage- Although you may introduce coupling between the carried signal in the cable to the shield which in itself will cause problems. You could manage it by connecting the shield tape to the ground of the connector, and then decoupling it.

A far more manageable way it to have the signal cables seperated from the AC as suggested, and if they do need to cross, cross them at 90 degrees.
Old 29 April 2008, 10:15 AM
Ghetto Dude3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah

i was just cutting some video cable for one of my CCTV cameras and it has some kind of foil insulation inside it, i thought people wore foil hats to stop the aliens controlling there minds ?

might be worth a google actually
Old 29 April 2008, 10:17 AM
Ghetto Dude3
Scooby Regular

found this

A shield on a coaxial cable acts by intercepting electromagnetic energy which it encounters, and shunting that energy to ground, preventing it from reaching the center conductor of the coax where the signal travels. To do this effectively, a shield needs three things: (1) high coverage, so that energy cannot readily pass through holes in the shield, (2) good conductivity, so that energy, once it enters the shield, will find its easiest path to ground; and (3) good connection to ground at the ends of the cable.

The two most common types of shield are foil and braid; cable can be wrapped in a conductive foil, most often aluminum, or it can be wrapped in a braided mesh of tiny wires. Foil and braid have very different characteristics, which, as we will see, accounts for the fact that many cables have both types of shield.
Video Cable Shielding — Audioholics Home Theater Reviews and News

Trending Topics

Old 29 April 2008, 11:02 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

yeah, I know coaxial usually has some braiding around it which is what made me think - but as you've stated it needs grounded at either end of the cable - alu foil round the outside wouldn't be able to do that would it?

Think sorting out the wiring is the main thing I'd look at, by the sounds of it the tv's power lead is running parallel to the other cables and causing interference - as Pete has said you need to minimise this as much as possible and if wires must cross then to keep them to 90 degs to one another...
Old 29 April 2008, 06:36 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

Think sorting out the wiring is the main thing I'd look at, by the sounds of it the tv's power lead is running parallel to the other cables and causing interference - as Pete has said you need to minimise this as much as possible and if wires must cross then to keep them to 90 degs to one another....

I think it's as you say messiah, power cable is causing the grief. I've got a week to go offshore then I'll do my best to seperate the power from the other cables. Getting the Wife to tell me how bad the a distortion I have is like getting blood from a stone.

The cable run under my A/V unit is the main problem rather than the wall internal. I have all the cables stuffed into a very small space and they all run over the prower brick for the xbox and the 360 and I know that can't be good.

Craig.