Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

NDS or PSPL..?

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2008, 07:59 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question NDS or PSPL..?

or any other hand held games console..?

Looking for something I can share with my 4yr, who is very computer savvy..

I prefer the look of the PSP, but that's not everything I know, game availability/cost is.

From what I've seen of the NDS, graphically it's nothing special. Not seen a PSP in action.

I would like one to take on hols to keep little un' occupied..

Opinions please..

PS the last handheld I had was an Atari Lynx, which for it's day was excellent IMHO..!
Old 23 April 2008, 08:59 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

It's a bit of a Wii vs PS3 question...

DS has touch screen, and dual screen which makes for a fun experience with many games. Graphically it's OK, but it's not going to set the world on fire!

PSP has better technical ability and more graphically rich games etc. but sticks with the tried and tested user interface of buttons...

Personally - I've got a Wii, and also recently bought a DS (with CycloDS card and every ROM ever made!) which I find great fun... Touch Golf is brilliant, as to make a swing you have to run the stylus up and down the screen in a straight line - something you simply couldn't do on the PSP.
Old 23 April 2008, 09:28 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

There are now 2 Nintendo DS's in the house as we liked them so much. My 5 and 8 year old daughters play Animal Crossing, Tamocochi (?) and various other games.

I played with a PSP and really liked it, but it doesn't have the 'fun' factor of the Nintendo and seems a bit fragile in comparision.

Steve
Old 23 April 2008, 10:05 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

you can watch videos and play mp3's on the psp, I use this feature more than anything else, don't really play the games. As long as you know how to download films you can convert them yourself and make long journeys painless.
Old 23 April 2008, 10:11 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd say both!
I don't do regular consoles. Don't like to be sat in the same place for too long.
At the moment I only have a PSP. I've played pretty much every game available. I do want an NDS as I know it would be fun. If not just for anything with Super Mario in.
Old 23 April 2008, 10:14 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

I had a PSP and since sold it. Great games but IMO the control method totally lets it down. The games feel like they need dual analogue sticks to me; the games are almost too good for the platform. Weak battery life too.

Now have a DS which is fantastic. Simple games, but perfect control methods and playability. Of course you can play MP3's and movies on the DS too, albeit on a smaller screen.
Old 24 April 2008, 02:34 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Cheers guy's..

Looks like a DS might be the best option. What sort of deals are about for them..?
Old 24 April 2008, 03:05 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Yes the DS is great for the younger kids. I used to have one but got rid of it (the games were not to my liking), however my brothers 3 & 6 year old kids love theirs. Seem to stand up to a bit of abuse as well

I prefer the games on the PSP myself (don't know why it was suggested that they are fragile), but to each their own
Old 24 April 2008, 07:19 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
Cheers guy's..

Looks like a DS might be the best option. What sort of deals are about for them..?
Find someone flying through Duty Free - Bought mine in Dixons Terminal 4 last week for £85