Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anyone got a networked external HDD.

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2008, 10:13 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone got a networked external HDD.

Hi,
In theory it seems a great idea, a 500GB external HDD on a network so you can do wireless backups. Anyone got one and does it work as expected or is it a list of never ending problems.

thanks
Paul.
Old 20 April 2008, 10:33 PM
scoobz72
Scooby Regular

Hi, I personally bought a Freecom network media player. Its 320gb capacity is ok for all the home users to upload their music. I do use a 10 gb partition to keep all backups on but this is done manually from each PC.

The player connects to a wireless router or to a standard CAT5 wired router without any problems, although Vista is problematic, XP works fine!

I got this last year from PC world for £149. At the time I was looking for NAS etc but this was far cheaper and it also works well with the XBOX 360 too.

Old 21 April 2008, 07:59 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Depending on what you want to back up, and how often it changes you can use an online service like Online Backup, Data Backup & Remote Backup Solutions from Mozy.com – Welcome. There are quite a few springing up.

The 'how often it changes' is quite important as it took one week to do the initial backup (of about 30gb) and then it takes just a few minutes a day after that.

Steve
Old 21 April 2008, 10:30 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I'm using a syslogic cubestation cs407e with 2x750gb sata drives in it (in raid 1 for data security). Room for two more drives in there as well. Works as a media server, web server, itunes server etc if you want it to as well. Vista / XP etc just see it on the network like any other shared pc/drive, and it apparently works with Macs as well

For a backup solution, it works superbly
Old 21 April 2008, 12:07 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
I'm using a syslogic cubestation cs407e with 2x750gb sata drives in it (in raid 1 for data security). Room for two more drives in there as well. Works as a media server, web server, itunes server etc if you want it to as well. Vista / XP etc just see it on the network like any other shared pc/drive, and it apparently works with Macs as well

For a backup solution, it works superbly
Maplin > LanDisk Network Hard Drive Enclosure

This seems to be the same thing, but cheaper. Only problem is it says it supports FAT32, both my laptops are NTFS.

Last edited by paulr; 21 April 2008 at 12:08 PM. Reason: gf
Old 21 April 2008, 12:15 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Not really the same thing at all. It only supports 1 hard drive (not 4 like the syslogic), has no media server support, and is significantly underpowered by comparison. As you say, it only supports FAT32, which will limit the size of the hard drive you can stick in the thing, and you have no support for raid at all.

Of course it is a lot cheaper as well, so I guess you get what you pay for

Personally, I wouldn't use anything other than RAID 1 for backup purposes (which duplicates data across 2 drives). I've had a few hard drives go bad over the years, and in a single drive system that means that you've lost all of your data.

Single drive system are ok for media servers, but I wouldn't use them for backing up important data (i.e. stuff you want to keep safe).
Old 21 April 2008, 12:36 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

All the files will be stored on my 2 laptops, so its only for a backup. I dont have lots of files anyway. I'd put in a spare 50GB HDD i have.
As it only supports FAT32 in wireless mode would i need to convert the HDD i put in it to FAT32, then would i still be able to use it to backup my 2 NTFS laptops.

I can see your point re 2drive backups,but i'd say your set up is Man Utd, as a beginner i'm willing to start at S****horpe United.

***Looking at similair items on Amazon,very poor reviews, most couldn't get to work.***

Last edited by paulr; 21 April 2008 at 12:43 PM. Reason: vd
Old 21 April 2008, 12:50 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Not wireless or networked but........ for a backup solution I use a Freecom external hard drive (£100 IIRC) connected via eSATA and Acronis True Image (£30 IIRC). Backup weekly and disconnect the drive once done. Works tidy to be fair but had teething issues with acronis hanging on backups

Of course A RAID array and network capable device gives more functionality and redundancy, all depends on how much $$ you want to spend, when you are using it for, ease of use etc

Last edited by mike1210; 21 April 2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 21 April 2008, 12:57 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

FAT32 is the format that the NAS unit uses internally, and is not related to the format of the drives in your laptops, so you should just be able to format the drive and copy files over. The only problem you may have is that NTFS allows for larger file sizes than FAT32, so you may have large video files (for example) that will not be able to be stored.

Mike, I've had 2 freecom external drives fail recently which were only ever connected when I wanted to use them (and onlyu just over a year old). That is why I now backup to a raid disc, or manually to two external hard discs. If I hadn't, that data would have been lost.

Regardless of the technology, backing up your data to a single location (i.e. so only one copy exists) is not a very good idea
Old 21 April 2008, 01:04 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Mike, I've had 2 freecom external drives fail recently which were only ever connected when I wanted to use them (and onlyu just over a year old). That is why I now backup to a raid disc, or manually to two external hard discs. If I hadn't, that data would have been lost.
Don't get me wrong Iain, I totally agree with what you are saying, I want to get a NAS at some point but $$$ issues and the like. Uni as well we've quite a few Lacie drives drop on us, one was the VC's in fact. You've shot my confidence with the Freecom drives mind . In a nutshell, doing it my way is better than nothing.....but its not as good as it could be
Old 21 April 2008, 01:05 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

A cheap way is just to use 2 USB external drives, and copy everything twice
Old 21 April 2008, 01:07 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

LOL, was looking at getting one of these when the $$ was there

Broadbandbuyer.co.uk | Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ 2TB Gigabit Network Storage (4x500GB) - RND4450
Old 21 April 2008, 01:25 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

A cheap way is just to use 2 USB external drives, and copy everything twice
Or leave it all on your main pc and backup to another external HDD.

(its not for huge files,just emails,family photos etc. Not music or films. The reason is my sisters pc HDD went recently and she lost 5 years of kids photo's)
Old 21 April 2008, 01:30 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I got a Netgear SC101T, it's o.k., but I can't say I'd recommend it to others.
Messing about attaching and detaching the drive is a pain, I hoped it would be easy. I would just stick a 500Gb drive in my main machine and use that instead.

HTH

DunxC
Old 21 April 2008, 03:16 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Apple Time Capsule here, they work with PC's as well.
Old 21 April 2008, 03:28 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

I use a Qnap101, works with the Xbox360 and as an Itunes server and can be left to download bittorrent files without having the pc switched on.
Old 21 April 2008, 03:58 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

I have a 500Gb external drive with built in WIFi etc,
[http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/imag...e_so_smart.jpg
Old 21 April 2008, 05:49 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Apple Time Capsule here, they work with PC's as well.
Ditto - only use mine for the iMac and MB Air thou, oh and the otherhalf's MB.
Old 22 April 2008, 11:18 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Here's the one I've just got. I thought about the qnap, but decided I wanted the extra flexibility of the synology unit

Synology Inc. :: Products :: Cube Station CS407e