Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Firewire - USB

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2008, 05:06 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firewire - USB

My PC has stopped detecting my Filrewire DV camcorder since I rebuilt it. I've got a firewire - USB converter to try, and it's be useful to use on the laptop, but it still doesn't detact it.
Is there anything you need to do when using the converter? Does the software just look for Firewire connection?
Old 21 March 2008, 10:39 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pwhittle
My PC has stopped detecting my Filrewire DV camcorder since I rebuilt it. I've got a firewire - USB converter to try, and it's be useful to use on the laptop, but it still doesn't detact it.
Is there anything you need to do when using the converter? Does the software just look for Firewire connection?
Okay a couple of questions:

1)..You have installed all of your motherborad drivers on the PC? (Checked device manager for any yellow esclamation marks)

2).. Have you tried other devices through the firewire and USB ports on your PC? If so and they don't work see question 1.
Old 21 March 2008, 06:50 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
Okay a couple of questions:

1)..You have installed all of your motherborad drivers on the PC? (Checked device manager for any yellow esclamation marks)

2).. Have you tried other devices through the firewire and USB ports on your PC? If so and they don't work see question 1.
there's no problems showing in Device Manager. I have a Hollywood Bridge - my only other Firewire device , and that does seem to be struggling too, so maybe it's the card

other USB devices are fine
Old 23 March 2008, 12:09 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Most people aren't aware of this. XP sometimes has Firewire (1394) issues after the SP2 update.

Performance of 1394 devices may decrease after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2

It's not rolled out as part of the XP updates as far as I can tell - the user has to manually hunt it down and install it by hand. A bit daft if you ask me.

Hopefully this will help you.