Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Recommend me an ADSL router / modem

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2008, 02:13 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend me an ADSL router / modem

As I can't use my beloved Cisco one as thats deadicated DSL, I need 1 that will work on an ADSL setup.

Been looking at the Belkin N, as it had good reviews in Macworld.
Old 14 March 2008, 02:42 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I've been asking the same questions not more than a few days ago.

Years ago I got a Netgear and it was pants, they eventually changed it FOC for a better one. But that replacement was still a little poor. After reading lots of reviews I just got another Netgear, and its rubbish still.

I'm going to go for a Draytek. If you want wireless N then they are doing the 2820n bundled with a USB dongle modem for about £170 (the dongle is usually more).

Manufacturer's site DrayTek - Routers Firewalls UTM and Networking Products
Cheapest I've seen Transparent Communications Ltd DrayTek Vigor 2820n
Old 14 March 2008, 04:15 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon C
As I can't use my beloved Cisco one as thats deadicated DSL, I need 1 that will work on an ADSL setup.

Been looking at the Belkin N, as it had good reviews in Macworld.
Going from Cisco to Belkin is like going from a Ferrari to a skip . As Luminous above or to save $$$ just put a modem in front of it like below

Broadbandbuyer.co.uk | DrayTek Vigor 100 ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem

but getting a Draytek would prob be a lot less hassle i'd expect. Never had a problem with Netgear myself, but the the Draytek is defo the better option

Thought i'd put forward another option like
Old 14 March 2008, 10:39 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Drayek seem to get good opinions, but I too have not seen much in the way of reviews. Draytek do have their own forums that you can register for (free) for you to ask questions. That way you get opinions from other users.

Given their reputation I was just going to go for it. Although, ironically, now that I am about to place an order for a Draytek my Netgear has amazingly not crashed once today. Compare that to over 50 crashes (yes 50) on Monday and you may think it has suddenly spawned the will to survive I think its having a HAL 9000 moment
Old 14 March 2008, 11:03 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

My DSL was a Linksys (linksys are made by cisco) and never had a problem. Infact I stopped in on PCW on the way home and got the adsl version.

I found that once netgear when plastic cases, they became expensive paperweights.
Old 15 March 2008, 01:07 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Mine's been fine since I got it, (Netgear) but how hard is it to up-grade to a Netgear "N" ?

DunxC
Old 15 March 2008, 01:19 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
Mine's been fine since I got it, (Netgear) but how hard is it to up-grade to a Netgear "N" ?

DunxC
Do you currently have a G wireless version? IIRC this cannot be upgraded to an N version. If you have the draft N version I'm guessing a firmware update may update this to the real N version when its released
Old 15 March 2008, 12:13 PM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx

DunxC
Unfortunately the DG834N (v1) is a dead duck. It will never be compatible to the final wireless-n release due it being on first gen (darft 1.0) wireless-n chipset.

Right now, I would avoid investing in a DG834N until at least v2 comes out.
Old 15 March 2008, 07:52 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Thanks fellas !

Not good at the detailled stuff, just fancied a quicker connection across all three floors at home....

DunxC
Old 15 March 2008, 08:39 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerV2
Unfortunately the DG834N (v1) is a dead duck. It will never be compatible to the final wireless-n release due it being on first gen (darft 1.0) wireless-n chipset.

Right now, I would avoid investing in a DG834N until at least v2 comes out.
Ah ha....... thats not good for the people who bought it
Old 15 March 2008, 10:06 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I'm guessing any draft-n router may end up being a dead duck. They could change the standards again afaik (unless they have been agreed when I was snoozing). I've no idea why its taken them so long, draft n stuff has been around for ages.
Old 15 March 2008, 10:20 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Look at Zyxel stuff. I'm cisco certified and these really are the next best thing.

Stay away from the likes of belkin etc.

Zyxel
3com
D-Link
would be my three choices
Old 16 March 2008, 02:27 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

3com managed Wireless controllers will all be N capable with a firmware upgrade once it is ratified, the AP's however will need to be N and cannot be upgraded

The Cisco ones can apparently, but it will cost you another 80 odd quid for the upgrade (thats on top of the 300 quid per AP you have already shelled out)
Old 16 March 2008, 11:04 PM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
I'm guessing any draft-n router may end up being a dead duck. They could change the standards again afaik (unless they have been agreed when I was snoozing). I've no idea why its taken them so long, draft n stuff has been around for ages.
It's taking ages to finalise because there are too many chefs in the kitchen from the likes of Cisco to Sony.

Draft 2.0 will be compatible with the final spec. However I'm not a fan of the current wireless-n kit because of the lack lustre MIMO implementation being currently used. In some wireless-n routers, they heavily rely on beam forming rather than MIMO which is terrible!

I'm waiting for Qualcomm to sort out their legal issues so they can release their long over due AGN400 (Gen4) chipset which is based on wireless-n draft 2.0. That chipset out performs any wireless-n on the market today because it uses true MIMO and its 2 years old! God knows what the Gen 5 chipset will be like.

The Belkin Pre-N had the Gen 2 chipset and Gen 3 was used in Linksys GX4 and NETGEAR RangeMax 240.

http://www.airgowireless.com/images/Performance4.jpg - shows true performance and good range indication for the AGN400 over current wireless-n draft 1.0 & 2.0 products.

Last edited by RoadrunnerV2; 16 March 2008 at 11:08 PM.
Old 17 March 2008, 12:17 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I use this and ther is 6 things in my house connecting to it with no problems
Komplett.co.uk - NETGEAR RangeMax NEXT Wireless Router Gigabit Edition, 300 Mbps draft-802.11n