Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

£99 LAPTOP...... YOUR OPINIONS?

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2008, 10:45 PM
sparkykev
Scooby Regular

Location: Ex WRX now a Harley Iron. Warwickshire. Oh what fun...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default £99 LAPTOP...... YOUR OPINIONS?

What do you think? Elonex ONE - Home of the £99 Laptop
Old 01 March 2008, 10:50 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Alright for the 3rd world maybe,I'll stick with my £500 laptop
Old 01 March 2008, 10:51 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

A bit like the asus eee which is quiet nice but 250 quid.
Would like to see more tech specs before judging....
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

ive just paid £10 deposit
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Not going to look, its just got to be bad. You get what you pay for.
Old 01 March 2008, 10:53 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

no, dont you look your obviously far too good to look at such cack
Old 01 March 2008, 11:06 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
no, dont you look your obviously far too good to look at such cack
oh don't get all huffy. I've been around PCs for many years. You DO get what you pay for. For that kind of money you would be better off with something second hand, just so long as you have some sort of warranty.
Old 01 March 2008, 11:08 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I think its a great initiative
For the average person who does not live on the internet ,its a great idea to get started, or to give the limited access they need.

Not everyone craves amazing graphics, super fast broadband, and 200gb of music and video

As for what you get.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	spec.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	1584  
Old 01 March 2008, 11:08 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
oh don't get all huffy. I've been around PCs for many years. You DO get what you pay for. For that kind of money you would be better off with something second hand, just so long as you have some sort of warranty.
Depending of course what you need a computer for
Old 01 March 2008, 11:09 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HankScorpio
A bit like the asus eee which is quiet nice but 250 quid.
Would like to see more tech specs before judging....

Like these? (Scroll down)

M
Old 01 March 2008, 11:10 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

i think its a great idea ill be getting one for my 6 year old daughter to muck about with and it doesnt matter if she screws up the computer , and saves my current laptop getting crawled on by my 9 month old aswell
Old 01 March 2008, 11:15 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Honest opinions can only be offered after knowing full specs and performance. It just sounds so cheap that one is bound to take it for quite a substandard sub laptop; like one of those refurbished ones from little PC shops.
Saying that, IMO if there is a company that can sell reasonably ok-ish brand new laptops for this price, good on them. They are mainly targetting young people in education for their customer base by the looks of it. Their fair chance projects for school seem to be a good business strategy for them. They say that and their vision is for every pupil to have their own laptop. With computers playing such a huge part in modern life, it is Elonex's goal to improve computer literacy across the nation. So, may be, that their product ain't a total disaster but alright for a schoolkids. <shrugs>
Old 01 March 2008, 11:18 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Just took 10 seconds of my time to look at it. 1Gb of storage Its only suitable for really basic stuff. Great for young kids to mess around on, but not what you want for school work.

You'll help your kids more by helping them learn MS software as that is what they will have to use in business and at school. Its a nice idea, but its a niche market product.
Old 01 March 2008, 11:29 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Just took 10 seconds of my time to look at it. 1Gb of storage Its only suitable for really basic stuff. Great for young kids to mess around on, but not what you want for school work.

You'll help your kids more by helping them learn MS software as that is what they will have to use in business and at school. Its a nice idea, but its a niche market product.
As long it's capable to load MSN on it, it should be fine for a schoolkid of this generation
School kids that are heavily involved in ICT subjects are usually clever enough to build their own PCs, using least funds for pretty good parts to put the thing together My girls' mates are one of those future ICT brainers. If they end up with an expensive product to carry around, they still break it pretty soon anyway. So, 100 squid for a mobile word processing laptop that allows you basic surfing (for kids to mess around, as you say) ain't so bad IMO.
Old 01 March 2008, 11:38 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great as a cheap ultraportable, like the Asus EE-PC. 1GB of storage is plenty when you get rid of bloatware. Not so long ago that would have been far bigger than most hard drives.

For a full laptop for browsing, office, photos etc I would set the minimum at something like: Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo Mobile V5535 Laptop Intel Celeron 540 1.86GHz 1024MB 120GB 15.4" DVD-RW WLAN Vista Home Basic - Ebuyer
Old 01 March 2008, 11:41 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Speaking of fixing pcs, have you got yours fixed yet? I wanted to have a chat with you, but got bombarded by viruses again last week when I tried. You need to let your daughter's mates at it
Old 01 March 2008, 11:41 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

The school I habitate was thinking of wireless PSP networks, giving the kids one each ! They wouldn't end up stolen or sold would they.....
This looks a lot better idea ! IMHP

DunxC
Old 01 March 2008, 11:57 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Speaking of fixing pcs, have you got yours fixed yet? I wanted to have a chat with you, but got bombarded by viruses again last week when I tried. You need to let your daughter's mates at it
They are far too busy to help their friend's mum, as you can presume. They did do some top design work for me lately.
MSN virus is totally fixable by myself, a generous contact has helped me out on line regarding that, and schoolkids have suggested me a few virus killing agents too. I haven't made a single effort to sort it yet, my time has been too precious to spend on MSN and related matters. Been away with work a lot. Anyhoo, I have a permanent tag to my MSN now. "DON'T OPEN ANY FILES SENT FROM MY MSN ADDRESS." Feel free to talk if you see me on line, just don't open any files sent from my address.
Hope you are doing well, looms.
Old 02 March 2008, 12:33 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

I do have to say, that more and more schools are taking up the acer EE, and if there is one similar for less money then that will be nothing short of good for them and the childrens needs

In a school on friday they have already set about testing Mac OSx on the EE PC (purely for testing of course ) but several other schools have already ordered over 600 EE PC units and are testing running XP with either open office or Tesco Office (20 quid) to run off the card reader using an SD card

This way if one gets trashed they just put the SD card in another machine, or give the kids a new SD card to save any rebuild time

Kids need basic Windows (stripped down from all the crap) and office, and bar a few other odd small apps not a lot else other than a bit of web browsing for research

Computers for Pupils is quite a large scheme that we have been dealing with for a while now, which on the whole is working out quite well
Old 02 March 2008, 08:11 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

I just thought it would be ideal for my daughter when it comes time for her to start learning how to use a pc. why put your head in the sand its a great idea.
Old 02 March 2008, 09:09 AM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _Meridian_
Like these? (Scroll down)

M
Exactly! tvm

A bloke I work with has an Asus eee but when he brought it in, I wasn't that impressed tbh, a brilliant use of technology but a bit limited.

These look ok for a start but a bit "fisher price" (yes, that probably is the point!!), but how quickly would a kid look to move on from one of these these days?
Entry level laptops will be 200-250 within a few months, would it be better to have a "proper" machine between two or one of these each?
I don't know but I'm not convinced about these.
Old 02 March 2008, 09:34 AM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Too many IT snobs and geeks on this site - a portable entry level laptop with wirelesss capability for the same price as a Nintendo DS or Ipod Nano - seems like a winner to me.
Old 02 March 2008, 10:09 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
I just thought it would be ideal for my daughter when it comes time for her to start learning how to use a pc. why put your head in the sand its a great idea.
Who is putting their head in the sand ?
Old 02 March 2008, 11:55 AM
apples24
Scooby Regular

i plan to buy a asus eee pc as soon as i can find a good priced one in stock, aparantly toys r us are knocking out the 4gb version with webcam in white for 220 quid, but out of stock online at mo
Old 02 March 2008, 12:11 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by apples24
i plan to buy a asus eee pc as soon as i can find a good priced one in stock, aparantly toys r us are knocking out the 4gb version with webcam in white for 220 quid, but out of stock online at mo
Im sure we are getting them for about 169 but that might be excl VAT and for the 4gb version but it also may be eductaional pricing too
Old 02 March 2008, 04:11 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

very good idea, and perfect for lower income families, even if it is just an internet console really, give it a few years and kids will be taking these to school rather than books.
Old 02 March 2008, 04:18 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

can anyone find a 4gb asus ee pc cheaper than £219???

sounds daft but the main reason i want one is that i can get internet ont he move at a reasonable speed without waiting 30 seconds for a page to load lol

also the fact the do a 12v car charger for these is ace, if i was using a normal laptop id have to use one those bulky power invertors then the normal power lead which is daft
Old 02 March 2008, 06:11 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

*cough* did you see my post *cough*
Old 02 March 2008, 06:30 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

yes your getting them for schools.

shaggy my daughters are just turned 3 and the other is just about to turn6 they quite often go on the cebebies website etc, the younger one can boot up the laptop launch explorer etc and click on the favourits to go there, she will quite happily sit ther for 45 mins playing then switch it off and go play

its a kinda foot step in the right direction i spose
Old 02 March 2008, 06:36 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.elonexone.co.uk/images/one-overview.jpg

nice

Quick Reply: £99 LAPTOP...... YOUR OPINIONS?