Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

What kind of price am I looking at

Search this Thread

Old 29 February 2008, 04:29 PM
Wizzbang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of price am I looking at

Im considering building a pc (or buying a manufactured one) to accomodate the following needs

twin dvi outputs (one for monitor and one to convert to hdmi for telly)
lots of ram (at the very least 2gb, but preferably 4gb)
decently quick Intel based processor(s)
plenty of hdd space (minimum of 2 500gb, maybe more)
sound card capable of digital output (coax preferable)

thats the 'specs' taken care of..now the rest

usb2, 10/100 network, firewire, decent dvd rewriter, desktop or midi tower with a proper quiet psu, tv tuner, etc, etc

What components should I be looking at and at what cost.

I should stress that this computer will NOT be used for gaming, and Im not interested in overclocking etc. I want a quiet, reliable computer that has enough power and memory to be running many multiple apps (inc image and video manipulation etc) and has got plenty of storage.

Ive been using an HP Pavilion dv2054 for about a year and half now (1.66 GHz Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2300E, 1024 MB DDR2 533 MHz(only upgradable to 2048), NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7200, 120Gb hdd, and Lightscribe multi dvd burner. I have been using a Maxtor 320Gb USB2 External HDD.

I have now filled every Gb of HDD space up and am looking to create a system that will give me more scope for HDD space, and greater ram capacity, etc.

What can you guys recommend

Cheers

ps, I dont need things like mouse/keyboard/monitor, so that can be knocked off a pre built system to save money