Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Broadband - speed getting worse

Search this Thread

Old 29 February 2008, 04:45 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broadband - speed getting worse

Been on BT total broadband (with vision box etc.) for a couple of years now.

Was ok up until the new year. Used to get speeds between 3-6 meg, typically 4.5 on average. Yeah not the "8", but good enough for what I want.

Since NY the speeds have reduced a lot, 700k, 1mb, 1.5mb, 2mb, tops I ever get is 3.6mb.

Anyway asked BT to sort it out and they did what they could and managed to get 3.6 most days (<2mb in evenings though). Anyway, now it's slow again and BT now saying that 2mb is max I'll get due to contention ratio, length from Purley exchange (1.1km) etc. (there's no "restrictions" and hardware here is all OK) which isn't even enough to support the Vision box anymore (for on-demand).

Shouldn't service get "better" these days, not worse!!! What next, back to 56k!!!!!!!!

Anyone else had the same. I guess the cables are the same to the same exchange so moving to another provider won't help.

Or do I just scrap it all (have bt phone, option 3 broadband and vision box) and move to Virgin who put cable in so should have much better speeds.
Old 29 February 2008, 05:39 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

My brother had this same problem. Turned out that the reason was that they connected too many people to the exchange for it to be able to handle. He had to wait for a new exchange to be built (about 2 years)...
Old 29 February 2008, 05:57 PM
mattster12
Scooby Regular

Whats you usage like?
What package are you on?

They Might be throttling your speed due to usage. Even if you are on unlimited, if you use it what they consider too much they will just cap you speed at say 2mb.

The contension ratio is also a reason, because bt's is 50-1. Some companies especially business isp have much better ratio. The business isp i am with has 10-1 ratio and i get full speed all the time even when it's busy.

Last edited by mattster12; 29 February 2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old 29 February 2008, 06:05 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

don't download that much. 5gb tops a month, more usually less than 1GB per month.

on option 3 package (the "best" one!).

More likely gonna move to Virgin. fibre optic cable, no contention ratio, about to move their 4mb to 10mb which will be fine. TV has last 7 day playback (which is what I really use the BTVision PVR for).