Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Cant access SOME of my usual websites

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2008, 09:28 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant access SOME of my usual websites

Any ideas why I cant access some of my regular sites guys? Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket or BMW Land - A Drivers Chat Talk Discussion Forum Board for UK BMW cars and owners 3 5 6 7 series Questions & Answers arent reachable any more for example. Even tried different browser and with all security/firewalls off etc. Is it likely to be me or these guys feeds into my ISP? Browser settings seem fine, and its been days now. Thx

D

PS guess it could be settings on my Netgear modem/router - but I havent changed anything?

Last edited by Diesel; 24 February 2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old 24 February 2008, 10:12 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Not using Be*There are you? Their DNS leaves somewhat to do desired.

It may be that even if you are not using Be, you ISP's DNS has gone down. Replace it temporarily with OpenDNS | Providing A Safer And Faster Internet.

Steve
Old 24 February 2008, 10:15 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Couple of simple things to try if on windows...

Check this file for spurious entries, should pretty much only have one
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

at a command prompt, run:
ipconfig /flushdns

Manually input one of these as your primary dns server:
Old 24 February 2008, 10:19 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Beaten while typing!
Those addresses are from the people boxst suggested.
Old 24 February 2008, 10:23 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Interestingly the OpenDNS | Providing A Safer And Faster Internet site is one I currently cant reach...

Have spent last hour rebuilding modem settings for AOL and used MS diagnostic download to rebuild TCP/IP stack - no difference.

At least I have Scoobynet ;-)

I'll try the other helpful options now guys - thanks.

D
Old 24 February 2008, 10:35 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Guys I can define the specific DNS server address in both my PC LAN 2 (ethernet) connection to modem router AND the same setting internally in the router.

Have done both currently but with no change to symptoms - even after a few re-boots and DNS flushes. Does using a different 'other' DNS rule out problems with my ISP and make it likely to be MY problem locally?

Thanks for the help.

D
Old 25 February 2008, 08:52 AM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Mmmhhh....

You type an address by name, it should fire out a requet to DNS servers to resolve to IP address but if it isn't even getting to public DNS (defined by number), that's odd.

Do an NSLOOKUP from a command prompt for a site you can get to and one for a site you can't get to for your normal setup and specifying an alternate and post back.

Using my DNS "server" (which is my router which passes the request)

Code:
C:\>nslookup www.scoobynet.com
Server:  www.routerlogin.com
Address:  192.168.1.100:53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    www.scoobynet.com
Address:  85.232.40.35
By putting the server you want to use at the end, you can specify to use that, this is using one of the openDNS servers:

Code:
C:\>nslookup www.scoobynet.com 208.67.222.222
Server:  resolver1.opendns.com
Address:  208.67.222.222:53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    www.scoobynet.com
Address:  85.232.40.35
Old 25 February 2008, 02:06 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

I have had this bloody problem since about last Thursday. Some websites I use quite frequently just couldn't be accessed.

I'm on AOL and have 5 pc attached to a Netgear DG834GT router. I could access all websites through the AOL browser but not in IE7 or Firefox. I have already done everything suggested on here and some.

Anyway, I joined the Netgear forum and after reading every post bar about 5 of the 167,981,250,359 available I started a new thread with my problem

Here

did a load of stuff they had recommended, and was just going to do the firmware update and hard reset on the router when the sodding thing just started working again on its own this morning.

Have you tried again today? I reckon its an AOL issue. My AOL was totally reliable for about 4 years until they changed it about 4 months ago...now its sh4te.

I take it you have run all your adaware scans etc, these can be a cause sometimes?

Mick

Last edited by MMT WRX; 25 February 2008 at 02:08 PM. Reason: more information
Old 25 February 2008, 04:08 PM
Pete The Biker
Scooby Regular

Hi

I think it's an AOL issue - something to do with switching to different servers.

My problem with certain websites has cleared. Now although I have internet access via Internet Explorer, and to e-mail via AOL webmail, I just cannot get the AOL software to recognise my internet connection - all I get is an error message "The computer could not get an internet connection. (Error: 47-AC-3000 0x84100116)"

Pete
Old 25 February 2008, 04:21 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pete The Biker
Hi

I think it's an AOL issue - something to do with switching to different servers.

My problem with certain websites has cleared. Now although I have internet access via Internet Explorer, and to e-mail via AOL webmail, I just cannot get the AOL software to recognise my internet connection - all I get is an error message "The computer could not get an internet connection. (Error: 47-AC-3000 0x84100116)"

Pete
Pete

Have a butchers here I know that the MTU is important with AOL they reckon max 1400. Are you using a Netgear router? I f you are, I am DG834GT, PM me and we could check out the router settings, see if we can get it sorted.

AOL is now Carphonewarehouse not AOL as was, thats when all my problems started. All the settings are totally diferent now ie PPPoA is now PPPoE, VC is now LLC etc.

Mick
Old 25 February 2008, 04:49 PM
Pete The Biker
Scooby Regular

MMT WRX

Yes that's the router - but the only way I can get it to connect is using PPPoA .......

I use MTU 1400....
Old 25 February 2008, 05:03 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Until last week mine was set up PPPoA and was working fine. Anyway i started getting some line drops and ended up ringing AOL, live help was a waste of time, they talked me through all the settings and there were quite a few that needed to be changed.

Some links that may help

one

Two

Its weird it says that your router name and password must be the same as your master screen name and password but mine isnt, its one they gave me and isnt even aol, it is somemadeupname @dialbb.com
Old 25 February 2008, 05:26 PM
Pete The Biker
Scooby Regular

MMT WRX

Yes that's the router - but the only way I can get it to connect is using PPPoA .......

I use MTU 1400....
Mmmmmmm managed to get the router connecting on PPPoE too now....... but still the AOL software wont recognise the router............

Pete
Old 25 February 2008, 05:31 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

I've pm'd you all my router settings to compare.

Mick

Last edited by MMT WRX; 25 February 2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 25 February 2008, 11:40 PM
Pete The Biker
Scooby Regular

Sorted at last!!!

It was the latest firmware upgrade on my router which was somehow preventing the AOL softaware from 'seeing' it. A reversion from 1.02.13 to 1.02.04 has got it back to normal.

Phew!!
Old 25 February 2008, 11:56 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Its AOL a friend of mine is having the same problem. Im also on AOL but mine is fine strangely.

Had this problem before. A wile back me and him couldnt connect too the gaming website we run. Infact all of the admins on the site were on AOL and none of us could get on it but for everybody welse it worked fine.

Infact we couldnt connect too any of the services by that particular providor.
Old 26 February 2008, 12:00 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Think it was AOL - just back from work and all is well. The trouble they put us through... >expletives deleted, as well as claim for 4 peoples time @ £50 ph< Grrrr!!!

Thanks so much for the help though.

D
Old 26 February 2008, 10:25 AM
Pete The Biker
Scooby Regular

In the last couple of days I have tried AOL 9.0 VR and 9.1 and found no tangible benefits.... all seemed to be running OK when I went to bed last night but when I booted up this morning I found that the AOL software wouldn't start without 'installing an upgrade' and restarting the pc...... only to do the same thing every time I went to start AOL.

I eventually went back to my original install disk for AOL 9.0 and deleted the later software from my pc....... what a waste of a day!

Pete The Biker
Old 26 February 2008, 10:30 AM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

In the last couple of days I have tried AOL 9.0 VR and 9.1 and found no tangible benefits.... all seemed to be running OK when I went to bed last night but when I booted up this morning I found that the AOL software wouldn't start without 'installing an upgrade' and restarting the pc...... only to do the same thing every time I went to start AOL.

I eventually went back to my original install disk for AOL 9.0 and deleted the later software from my pc....... what a waste of a day!

Pete The Biker
Hey Pete

On this pc I am running XP. A couple of days ago when closing down and rebooting my AOL software said it was downloading something and not to switch off until it had competed...and it did it about 3 times when I booted up and closed down, then that was it, not done it since. I was begining to wonder what was going off. I reckon its all to do with AOL's move to CPwarehouse.

Mick